Beverages/Old Bourbon Whiskey

While cleaning out my grand mother's house I found a half pint bottle of Bonds Mill Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey, 86 proof, bottled at the Bonds Mill Distillery.Larnceburg Ky. Can you tell me anything about this bourbon, ie: age and distillery, prohibation medicinal whiskey? Any info will be appraiciated

Hi David

During Prohibition, there were two legal reasons to produce alcoholic beverages:  sacramental wine for religious purposes, and medicinal alcohol for those with the proper prescription.  Of course, there were a lot of sympathetic doctors who prescribed a glass or two of wine each night with dinner, or a nice shot of whiskey before bed!

In Anderson County, Kentucky, Bond Mill was first erected as a mill in the 1830's...and then a couple of distilleries were built in Tyrone, KY, where there is a bridge across the river.  During Prohibition these distilleries saw their business reduced drastically, which had a negative impact on the whole area. The distillery reopened in 1934 after Prohibition was repealed...but it was never as important again. Jos. E Seagrams bought it many years ago.   

Your whiskey comes from a distillery that is still owned by Seagram, and is used for making Four Roses.  It's obviously from an area with a rich tradition of whiskey...but FOur Roses is not known as a top producer...

Hope that helps?

Paul Wagner  

Paul Wagner

I have spent most of my adult life eating and drinking throughout the world, and can usually remember some of it! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about food and drink on the air.

30 years in the business.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the past 20 years.

Diageo Chateau & Estate Wines Company, The Court of Master Sommeliers, Constellation Wines, The Union des Grands Crus de Bordeaux, Vinitaly, Napa County Agricultural Commissioner.