I know that Jules Berman & Associates, at one time, imported the original Picon when it was a 78 proof drink.  I, for years, drank that product crafting a Picon Punch from same.  I have been unable to find the 78 proof version for a long while as I understand there have been two reductions in alcohol content making the Picon something different from the original.  I have tried the Torani version and find it wanting.  Is it possible to find the original recipe at 78 proof and if so where may I buy it.

Thank you for your consideration regarding this matter.
Clarence De Barrows

HI Clarence

You have a good memory.  Picon used to be 78 proof (39% alcohol) but they changed that back in the 1970s, and the current version is barely half that.  Even more frustration for fans of Amer Picon is that it is no longer sold in the US or Canada.

I've seen the modern, weaker, version in Europe, and I've heard tales of it being for sale in Asia, but that's a long way to go for a drink!

Of course, you can use substitutes such as Nonino and Montenegro--but they won't have that unique slight orange character that Picon has.

I wish I had better news for you...

Paul Wagner  

Paul Wagner

I have spent most of my adult life eating and drinking throughout the world, and can usually remember some of it! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about food and drink on the air.

30 years in the business.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the past 20 years.

Diageo Chateau & Estate Wines Company, The Court of Master Sommeliers, Constellation Wines, The Union des Grands Crus de Bordeaux, Vinitaly, Napa County Agricultural Commissioner.