Beverages/Olympic Rye

I have 2 bottles of Gibson Olympic Rye. Serial#0378 Intact in Bag with Tax label intact. Is it worth anything or should I drink it?

Hi Noel

Distilled spirits like this have such high alcohol levels that they don't change much over time.  That means that your bottle should be just fine to drink, but it also means that it hasn't improved with age the way some fine wines do.  The result is that you won't be able to sell this for much more than a current bottling.  It's good stuff, but I don't think it would sell for more than about $75-100, at most.  

But given the story behind this bottle. you might check with the folks at know more about the actual bottles and boxes than I do, and the bottle itself might be worth more than the liquid inside.  

Sorry I can't give you more exciting news.

Paul Wagner

Paul Wagner

I have spent most of my adult life eating and drinking throughout the world, and can usually remember some of it! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about food and drink on the air.

30 years in the business.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the past 20 years.

Diageo Chateau & Estate Wines Company, The Court of Master Sommeliers, Constellation Wines, The Union des Grands Crus de Bordeaux, Vinitaly, Napa County Agricultural Commissioner.