Beverages/1963 I W Harper KY Straight Bourbon Whiskey

Afternoon Paul,

I am cleaning out liquor cabinets and came across a few old bottles including a Johnnie Walker in original box from the 70's (86.8 proof) and an I W Harper. I am curious about the I W Harper...filled to the shoulder, sealed, BIB, 4/5 quart and 100 proof. Tax stamps an labels are still in perfect order as is a florida liquor excise tax stamp. Any value at all or just still good enough to enjoy?

HI Ken

Distilled spirits like this are so high in alcohol that they don't change much, for better or for worse, once they go into the bottle.  The good news is that yours is perfectly good to drink.  The bad news is that it won't have appreciated in value the way some fine wines do.  It's worth about what a similar bottle would be worth today---under $25 or so.

Drink up.  I am sorry that I don't have more exciting news for you.

Paul Wagner

Paul Wagner

I have spent most of my adult life eating and drinking throughout the world, and can usually remember some of it! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about food and drink on the air.

30 years in the business.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the past 20 years.

Diageo Chateau & Estate Wines Company, The Court of Master Sommeliers, Constellation Wines, The Union des Grands Crus de Bordeaux, Vinitaly, Napa County Agricultural Commissioner.