Beverages/Dowling Deluxe - Kentucky Straight Bourbon

Dowling Label
Dowling Label  

Dowling Seal
Dowling Seal  
My neighbor brought over a bottle of Dowling Deluxe Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey (100 Proof) that was barreled in 1951 and bottled in 1965, per the seal on the top of the bottle.  It's never been opened.

I'd like to drink it, but his wife wants to sell it if it's worth anything.

Any ideas?

Hi Curt

Distilled spirits like this are so high in alcohol that they don't change much, for better or for worse, once they go in the bottle.  The good news is that this should be perfectly good to drink.  The bad news is that it hasn't appreciated in value the way some fine wines do.  You might be able to sell this for about $50---but only through and auction house or a retails, because it's illegal for private individuals to sell alcoholic beverages in the USA.  And so you would have to pay a commission...

If it were mine, I would drink it.

You might check with the guys at to see if the bottle itself is rare enough to be more valuable than the Bourbon inside...

Hope that helps

Paul Wagner  

Paul Wagner

I have spent most of my adult life eating and drinking throughout the world, and can usually remember some of it! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about food and drink on the air.

30 years in the business.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the past 20 years.

Diageo Chateau & Estate Wines Company, The Court of Master Sommeliers, Constellation Wines, The Union des Grands Crus de Bordeaux, Vinitaly, Napa County Agricultural Commissioner.