Beverages/Sealed bottle of Gilbey's gin 90 proof

Gilbey\'s gin
Gilbey's gin  
Hi Paul!
My husband's grandmother gave him this old bottle of gin that has a sticker of the US Navy Mess.  It is a full quart 90 proof sealed bottle.  The seal has a US Internal revenue service tax paid label and written on it shows that the bottle cost $4.25.
I would like to know how old is this bottle and how much is it worth
Thank you!

Hi Martha

Distilled spirits like this are so high in alcohol that they don't change much, for better or for worse, over time in the bottle. The good news is that your bottle is fine to drink.  The bad news is that it won't have appreciated in value the way some fine wines do.  This one is worth about what a current bottling is worth--maybe $20 at best.

Based on the pricing, this one may be 20-30 years old.  

Sorry that I can't give you more exciting news.

Paul Wagner

Paul Wagner

I have spent most of my adult life eating and drinking throughout the world, and can usually remember some of it! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about food and drink on the air.

30 years in the business.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the past 20 years.

Diageo Chateau & Estate Wines Company, The Court of Master Sommeliers, Constellation Wines, The Union des Grands Crus de Bordeaux, Vinitaly, Napa County Agricultural Commissioner.