Beverages/Trocadero Cognac Superior 1900

Question
cognac.jpg
cognac.jpg  
Paul:  I have searched for years for information on the Trocadero Cognac Extra 1900,(I assume it was bottled in 1900) Produce of Cuba Manufactured by Ramon Del Collado.  PO Box 907, Havana, Cuba.  I bought this bottle at auction about 10 years ago in Florida for $150.00.  I have been saving it for the day I retire.  I would like to know more about it and be sure it is safe to drink.  If it is worth considerably more than i paid i might want to keep it and just get a bottle of Remy Martin for the retirement celebration.  Hope you can shed some light on my bottle.  Thanks.
Ron

Answer
Hi Ron

Distilled spirits like this are so high in alcohol that they don't change much, for better or for worse, over time in the bottle.  The good news is that this one should be perfectly good to drink.  The bad news is that it hasn't appreciated in value over the years.  I think it would be difficult to re-sell it for a profit at this point.

Bear in mind that this was made in Cuba, and Cognac is very definitely made in France.  This is a Cuban copy of Cognac, and probably made with a base of rum, rather than grape brandy like Cognac.

I don't think that you are correct in your assumption about the date.  While the Trocadero Palace in Paris was built for the 1900 exposition, this bottle is merely a celebration of that fact...and was bottled in the mid-1950's.

Hope that helps.  As I noted above, it should be perfectly safe to drink.

Paul Wagner  

Beverages

Paul Wagner