Beverages/branding a drink of my own naming

I came up with a drink mix that I have made for me in pubs and bars. and I would like to  make that particular drink a name of my own liking that is recognized throughout canada and worldwide.

I am just curious as to how I can make that drink mix a name of my own without infringing on someone elses idea. because, I would like to have that drink mix known as what I came up with.

sooo . . . it requires a pint glas and 2 liquors and some pop and ice. I dont really want to telly ou the ingredients. but thats what the inquiery is.

so . . . what do you say ???? . . .  what can I do to make this happen for myself.

Hi Shawn

There are really two options here, and two results. The first one is easy.  You can find someone to publish your recipe, and then they ( or you ) can own the copyright on that recipe.  You now can claim that cocktail as your own.

But unless everyone else knows about it and orders it, it won't really matter. So that accomplished your first goal, but not your second.  

So the second step is that you have to market it.  You can run ads, tell stories, write articles, organize events, and do all the stuff that big companies do to promote their brands.  But my guess is that you don't have the time or budget to do that.  You might consider entering a drinks recipe contest---if you win, then you can promote your recipe, and the contest organizer will almost certainly do the same.  

And if you are really successful, then you can take your place alongside the other world famous drinks!

Paul Wagner  

Paul Wagner

I have spent most of my adult life eating and drinking throughout the world, and can usually remember some of it! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about food and drink on the air.

30 years in the business.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the past 20 years.

Diageo Chateau & Estate Wines Company, The Court of Master Sommeliers, Constellation Wines, The Union des Grands Crus de Bordeaux, Vinitaly, Napa County Agricultural Commissioner.