Beverages/hudson's bay rum

I have an old, unopened bottle of Hudson's Bay Demerara Rum that still has the seal intact.  It has a Washington State Liquor Control Board number of 61-0098630.  The label says it was distilled in British Guiana and bottled in Great Britain.  I need to know how old it is and what it is worth.  The previous owner says his father had it before he was born, which was 70 years ago.  Also, is there a market to sell it and if so where?

Hi Matthew

Washington didn't get into the liquor business until after Prohibition, so you know this dates from 1934 or later--and if it is more than 75 tears old, then it from the early years of Repeal.

But distilled spirits like this are so high in alcohol that they don't change much over time, for better or for worse, once they're in the bottle.  The good news is that this should be perfectly fine to drink. The bad news is that it hasn't appreciated in value the way some fine wines do.  This is worth about what a current bottling is worth: maybe about $30-40 max.

It's illegal for private citizens to sell alcoholic beverages in the USA, so you'd have to work through an auction house or retailer--and they would take a ssignificant commission.

Because of its age, the glass bottle might be with more than the liquor.  Check with the nice people at to see about that.

Hope that helps.  Sorry I don't have more exciting news for you.

Paul Wagner

Paul Wagner

I have spent most of my adult life eating and drinking throughout the world, and can usually remember some of it! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about food and drink on the air.

30 years in the business.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the past 20 years.

Diageo Chateau & Estate Wines Company, The Court of Master Sommeliers, Constellation Wines, The Union des Grands Crus de Bordeaux, Vinitaly, Napa County Agricultural Commissioner.