Beverages/J&F Martell Three Star VOP Cognac

I have an unopened bottle of J&F Martell Three Star VOP Cognac. I would like to know the value of it to decide if I should sell it or drink it. It has a bale top under lead foil. Though it is unopened, the angel's share is below the neck label. I am guessing it was purchased between 1950 and 1953. The label has neither volume nor alcohol content, as it was not intended for US sale. The back of the label says 111080C, and looks very much like a 1920's bottle I found on line valued at about $700. The only difference is the third label saying only Martell, above the label on the body.

Paul, can you help me with an estimate of the value.

Hi Brent

Distilled spirits like this are so high in alcohol that they don't change much over time, for better or for worse, once they're in the bottle.  The good news is that this should be perfectly fine to drink. The bad news is that it hasn't appreciated in value the way some fine wines do.  This is worth about what a current bottling is worth: maybe about $30-40 max.

It's illegal for private citizens to sell alcoholic beverages in the USA, so you'd have to work through an auction house or retailer--and they would take a ssignificant commission.

Hope that helps.  Sorry I don't have more exciting news for you

Paul Wagner

Paul Wagner

I have spent most of my adult life eating and drinking throughout the world, and can usually remember some of it! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about food and drink on the air.

30 years in the business.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the past 20 years.

Diageo Chateau & Estate Wines Company, The Court of Master Sommeliers, Constellation Wines, The Union des Grands Crus de Bordeaux, Vinitaly, Napa County Agricultural Commissioner.