Beverages/Lord Calvert

I have an unopened bottle of Canadian Masterpiece by Lord Calvert bottled in 1957 it is serial numbered and comes in a red presentation case. On it it says that it is a blend from the five different distilleries in Canada and that it is registered by the distillery. I have tried to contact Calvert Distilleries of NY, but to no avail. Can you shed any light on this bottle?

Hi Gail

Distilled spirits like this are so high in alcohol that they don't change much, for better or for worse, over time in the bottle.  So the good news is that this stuff is perfectly good to drink. But that also means that this hasn't appreciated in value the way some fine wines do.  The liquid inside is very much like it was when it was bottled. And it doesn't really matter how old it is, that liquid won't change in character or value.   This is a rare bottling...but I haven't seen any increased interest in these bottles over the years.    

But there is another part that I don't know, because the bottles themselves may be worth far more than the liquid inside.  I would contact the nice guys at to see what they have to say about this.  While the Lord Calvert will sell for less than $100, the bottles could well sell for more than that.

It is illegal for US citizens to sell alcohol directly, so you'd have to go through a retailer or auction house---and that means paying a significant commission.

Hope that helps

Paul Wagner  

Paul Wagner

I have spent most of my adult life eating and drinking throughout the world, and can usually remember some of it! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about food and drink on the air.

30 years in the business.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the past 20 years.

Diageo Chateau & Estate Wines Company, The Court of Master Sommeliers, Constellation Wines, The Union des Grands Crus de Bordeaux, Vinitaly, Napa County Agricultural Commissioner.