Beverages/Whitehorse Blended Scotch Wisky

We have a full unopened bottlt of whitehorse looks like the third one on the right of the previous persons question. old unopened bottle no. WA 642572   Original recipe 1746. How old is this and is it worth anything?

Hi Sandy

I am afraid I have to give you the same answer.  As I said, distilled spirits like this are so high in alcohol that they don't change much, for better or for worse, over time in the bottle.  So the good news is that this stuff is perfectly good to drink. But that also means that this hasn't appreciated in value the way some fine wines do.  The liquid inside is very much like it was when it was bottled--and consequently not of great value on the market. And it doesn't really matter how old it is, that liquid won't change in character or value. That's the part that I know.    

But there is another part that I don't know, because the bottles themselves may be worth far more than the Scotch.  I would contact the nice guys at to see what they have to say about this.  While the Scotch will sell for less than $100, the bottles could well sell for more than that.

It is illegal for US citizens to sell alcohol directly, so you'd have to go through a retailer or auction house---and that means paying a significant commission.

Hope that helps

Paul Wagner  

Paul Wagner

I have spent most of my adult life eating and drinking throughout the world, and can usually remember some of it! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about food and drink on the air.

30 years in the business.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the past 20 years.

Diageo Chateau & Estate Wines Company, The Court of Master Sommeliers, Constellation Wines, The Union des Grands Crus de Bordeaux, Vinitaly, Napa County Agricultural Commissioner.