Beverages/Old Cointreau bottle and case

I was gifted an old Cointreau bottle in a case, which is a plastic replica of the bottle itself. A page from a newspaper stuffed inside dates to 1988. The bottle is unopened, and the case is in perfect condition. I am curious as to its value, would you consider it collectable?

Hi Michael

Distilled spirits like this are so high in alcohol that they don't change much over time-for better or for worse- once they're in the bottle.  The good news is that this is fine to drink.  The bad news is that it won't have appreciated in value the way some fine wines do.  This is worth no more than a current bottling.

You might check with the nice guys at to see if the bottle itself is of more interest than the liquor inside.

I'm sorry that I can't give you more exciting news.

Paul Wagner

Paul Wagner

I have spent most of my adult life eating and drinking throughout the world, and can usually remember some of it! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about food and drink on the air.

30 years in the business.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the past 20 years.

Diageo Chateau & Estate Wines Company, The Court of Master Sommeliers, Constellation Wines, The Union des Grands Crus de Bordeaux, Vinitaly, Napa County Agricultural Commissioner.