Beverages/Ballantines Scotch Whisky

Hello Paul, I was given a bottle of Ballantines 30 year old Scotch Whisky. I was told that the person that bought it on a trip to England had it put away for over 30 years before he passed away. The bottle has never been opened and still has its tax id # 423042614. So my guess is that this bottle is approx 70 years old or more right now. What do you think the value would be for this bottle.

HI Tony

I don't have great news.  Distilled spirits like this are so high in alcohol that they don't change much at all once they're in the bottle. The good news is that this should be perfectly fine to drink.  The bad news is that it won't have appreciated in value the way some fine wines do.  This is worth about what a current bottling is worth--maybe $30  or so?

Sorry that I can't give you more exciting news

Paul Wagner  

Paul Wagner

I have spent most of my adult life eating and drinking throughout the world, and can usually remember some of it! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about food and drink on the air.

30 years in the business.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the past 20 years.

Diageo Chateau & Estate Wines Company, The Court of Master Sommeliers, Constellation Wines, The Union des Grands Crus de Bordeaux, Vinitaly, Napa County Agricultural Commissioner.