Beverages/Crown Royal bourbon

I have in my closet, a bottle of Crown Royal bourbon full,& with the tax stamp, dated 1960.  My question are this. when was Crown Royal first bottled, & what is my bottle worth.  I, stopped drinking Dec. 31, 1999 New Years night.  At 12:05 2000.          Bruce

Hi Bruce

Crown Royal was first bottled in 1939 by Samuel Bronfman to commemorate the visit of King George to Canada.  It was only availaable in Canada until 1960, when it started to be sold in the US as well.

The good news is that this is a distilled spirit, and the alcohol level is so high that it hasn't change much at all since it was put in the bottle.  It's perfectly fine to drink.  But because it hasn't changed, it also hasn't appreciated in value the way some fine wines do.  It's worth about what a bottle of Crown Royal is worth today.

The bottle itself might be worth more---check with the nice folks at about that--but the liquid inside is ready to drink!

Hope that helps

Paul Wagner  

Paul Wagner

I have spent most of my adult life eating and drinking throughout the world, and can usually remember some of it! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about food and drink on the air.

30 years in the business.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the past 20 years.

Diageo Chateau & Estate Wines Company, The Court of Master Sommeliers, Constellation Wines, The Union des Grands Crus de Bordeaux, Vinitaly, Napa County Agricultural Commissioner.