Beverages/1951 Canadian Whiskey

I have a bottle of Grand Award Canadian Whiskey dated 1951 with the tax seals and black box. How\ would you estimate its worth?

Hi Melissa

Distilled spirits like this don't change much for better or for worse, once they are in the bottle. So the good news is that this should be fine to drink. The bad news is that it won't have appreciated in value the way some fine wines do.  This one is worth about what a current bottling would be worth...something under $50.

If it were mine I would drink it or give it to someone who would enjoy it.

I am sorry that I can't give you more exciting news.

Paul Wagner  

Paul Wagner

I have spent most of my adult life eating and drinking throughout the world, and can usually remember some of it! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about food and drink on the air.

30 years in the business.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the past 20 years.

Diageo Chateau & Estate Wines Company, The Court of Master Sommeliers, Constellation Wines, The Union des Grands Crus de Bordeaux, Vinitaly, Napa County Agricultural Commissioner.