Beverages/Cognac Pellison

Question
Cognac Pellison
Cognac Pellison  

Cognac Pellison
Cognac Pellison  
I have a bottle of Cognac Pellison, says it was manufactured in 1883, bottled in 1936 from Cuba. I enclosed two pics, is it worth anything by chance?

Answer
Hi Kathleen

This is an odd one.  You are right that it was bottled for Cuba--the Cognac is from France, but the bottle and label are all in Spanish. Pellisson was founded in 1836, and continued in business until 1980, when it was purchased by the Hennessey group.  They were perhaps more famous for their posters than for their Cognac...

Distilled spirits like this are so high in alcohol that they don't change much, for better or for worse, once they are bottled.  The good news is that this should be fine to drink, but the bad news is that it won't have appreciated in value the way some fine wines do.  It's probably worth around $50...and if you could find someone who is really excited, maybe $100.

Of course, it is illegal for private citizens to sell alcoholic beverages in the US, so you would have to work through an auction house.

If it were mine, I would open it up and drink it on a special occasion with some friends, or give it to someone who loves Cognac.

I hope that helps.  Sorry that I don't have more exciting news for you.

Paul Wagner

Beverages

Paul Wagner