Beverages/Bellows French Vermouth

bottle view
bottle view  

bottle view 2
bottle view 2  
Hi - I bought an unopened bottle of Bellows Imported French Vermouth, Fine Extra Dry, at a garage sale about 10 years ago.  The label is not in great condition but mostly readable, given the estimated age (1950's?). There's a silverish covering on the cap (cork?) and a label on the back says "US Army OS 764 Open Mess".  The label also says:  Contents: 1 Pint 14 Fl oz  Alcohol 19%, Made and Bottled in France, Specially Reserved and Bottled by Lezigno Beziers (?), France...  Do you have any idea of its age and value?  Also, if it has any value, where does a person sell it and is it legal to sell it?

Hi Suzanne

I'm afraid I don't have great news for you. Vermouth and other flavored wines don't generally increase in value as they age.  This bottle might have some historical interest, but I don't think you'll get much money for it. Sorry about that.

It was obviously bottled for the armed forces to sell through their PX stores...but i don't think that adds value...

Sorry that I can't give you more exciting news

Paul Wagner  

Paul Wagner

I have spent most of my adult life eating and drinking throughout the world, and can usually remember some of it! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about food and drink on the air.

30 years in the business.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the past 20 years.

Diageo Chateau & Estate Wines Company, The Court of Master Sommeliers, Constellation Wines, The Union des Grands Crus de Bordeaux, Vinitaly, Napa County Agricultural Commissioner.