Beverages/Vintage Wine

I have an unopened bottle of 1947 MEDOC appellation contrôlée
Is it drinkable or collect able? Looks like the label may have been in or near a fire

HI Jean

Not so much.  This was a pretty good year in Bordeaux, but this is a simple blended wine that was meant to be drunk within about ten years of release....and not aged for another fifty years.  It will have little charm left:  faded color, dried out fruit, and tired flavors.  It won't have any value on the auction market.

Sorry that I can't give you better news on this one.

Paul Wagner  

Paul Wagner

I have spent most of my adult life eating and drinking throughout the world, and can usually remember some of it! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about food and drink on the air.

30 years in the business.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the past 20 years.

Diageo Chateau & Estate Wines Company, The Court of Master Sommeliers, Constellation Wines, The Union des Grands Crus de Bordeaux, Vinitaly, Napa County Agricultural Commissioner.