Beverages/WWII Cointreau bottle

I'd like to know the value, if any, of an empty Cointreau bottle brought back from France in World War II.  Stamped diagonally on the label in red is "sales in the free market are prohibited" in German and below that in French "sales in stores prohibited."  It's stoppered with a worn cork and in quite-good but not perfect condition.  Thanks.

Hi Sammy

I am an expert in beverages, but not in the bottles that contain them. No connoisseur would pay a lot of money for this bottle---but a bottle collector might be more interested.  You can find out from the nice people at  They frequently get questions like this.

And you might find that a local museum would be more interested in this as a donation.  It might be easier than selling it, and you might have some tax benefits.

Hope that helps

Paul Wagner  

Paul Wagner

I have spent most of my adult life eating and drinking throughout the world, and can usually remember some of it! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about food and drink on the air.

30 years in the business.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the past 20 years.

Diageo Chateau & Estate Wines Company, The Court of Master Sommeliers, Constellation Wines, The Union des Grands Crus de Bordeaux, Vinitaly, Napa County Agricultural Commissioner.