Beverages/WWII Cointreau bottle

Question
I'd like to know the value, if any, of an empty Cointreau bottle brought back from France in World War II.  Stamped diagonally on the label in red is "sales in the free market are prohibited" in German and below that in French "sales in stores prohibited."  It's stoppered with a worn cork and in quite-good but not perfect condition.  Thanks.

Answer
Hi Sammy

I am an expert in beverages, but not in the bottles that contain them. No connoisseur would pay a lot of money for this bottle---but a bottle collector might be more interested.  You can find out from the nice people at antiquebottles.com.  They frequently get questions like this.

And you might find that a local museum would be more interested in this as a donation.  It might be easier than selling it, and you might have some tax benefits.

Hope that helps

Paul Wagner  

Beverages

Paul Wagner