Beverages/white horse blended scotch whiskey

Question
my son-in-law does construction and recently was doing an older house and discovered this old bottle of white horse whiskey on the back it saysby appt of her majesty the queen then underneath says AB no. 2127249 i was wondering what you can tell me about this he brought it home to me because i like old things i would really like to know from what year it is and if it has any value

Answer
Hi Bridget

Thanks for the question.  Distilled spirits like this are so high in alcohol that they really don't change much, for better or for worse, once they go in the bottle.  The good news is that this should be perfectly fine to drink.  The bad news is that it hasn't appreciated in value the way some fine wines do.  This is worth about what a current bottling is worth---something under $30.  

Since it has the notice about the Queen, it's clearly from after her coronation, which was in 1952.  The bottling numbers themselves are a code that is only known to the producer---they use it for quality control monitors...but it doesn't actually help us determine the date, since we don't know the code used!

Hope that helps.

Paul Wagner  

Beverages

Paul Wagner