Beverages/White Horse

My stepson has found a bottle of White Horse Cellar. The label isn't in good condition but it states bottled 1934. No 2985339. It is sealed with a stamped top stating bottled in Scotland. We would appreciate any information you can give us.
Many thanks
Shirley Henderson.

Hi Shirley

What you have here is a bottle of blended Scotch...apparently dated from the first year that Prohibition was repealed.  Blended means that it is made up of different lots from different producers to create a balanced and consistent style.

Distilled spirits like this are so high in alcohol that they don't change much, for better or for worse, over time.  With that in mind, this hasn't appreciated over the years the way some fine wines do.

So the good news is that this should be perfectly good to drink.  But it won't have big value among collectors or connoisseurs.  It's worth about what a current bottling is worth--under $50.

Sorry I can't give be you more exciting news.  Hope that helps.

Paul Wagner

Paul Wagner

I have spent most of my adult life eating and drinking throughout the world, and can usually remember some of it! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about food and drink on the air.

30 years in the business.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the past 20 years.

Diageo Chateau & Estate Wines Company, The Court of Master Sommeliers, Constellation Wines, The Union des Grands Crus de Bordeaux, Vinitaly, Napa County Agricultural Commissioner.