Beverages/Terry Conac

You answered a question recently on Terry Brandy from Jerez. I have a bottle, similar in most areas except it is one litre capacity, and on both front and back label it uses the word CONAC instead of Brandy. The neck label is faded but clearly says Centeario. The paper seal is numbered B85672202 and also  ' ochenta centimos ' .

Can you tell me how old this might be, and if the contents are of any value ?

Many Thanks.

Hi Alex

Distilled spirits like this are so high in alcohol that they don't change much, for better or for worse, over time.  So the good news is that this is perfectly safe to drink.  The bad news is that it won't have improved, or appreciated in value the way some fine wines do.  This one is worth about what a current bottling of Spanish brandy would cost...and not much more.

The fact that it is labeled Conac tells me that this was bottled before the EU's stringent labeling laws were enacted---because now Conac (or more correctly Cognac) can only be used from brandy produced in the Cognac region of Southwest France.  Those laws were enacted and signed by various parties in the 1980's and 1990's.  And then there is the fact that the tax paid is in centimos, which is a coin from the old peseta days, before Spain adopted the Euro as its currency in about 2000.

By the way, the fact that it "borrowed" the name Conac shouldn't be held against this producer too much.  The very first brandies in Europe were produced in Jerez/Sherry by the Moslems who controlled this part of Spain about 1,000 years ago.  They used distillation to produce brandy for perfumes and medicines, and shared that technology with the rest of Europe over time.  (A traditional still today is still called by its Arabic name:  Alambic Still.)

Hope that helps?

Paul Wagner

Paul Wagner

I have spent most of my adult life eating and drinking throughout the world, and can usually remember some of it! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about food and drink on the air.

30 years in the business.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the past 20 years.

Diageo Chateau & Estate Wines Company, The Court of Master Sommeliers, Constellation Wines, The Union des Grands Crus de Bordeaux, Vinitaly, Napa County Agricultural Commissioner.