Beverages/Value of a bottle of French Cognac.

Question
I have an unopened bottle with a wax seal, still in the box.
The year on the bottle is 1965. Label says Vieil Armagnar
Du Roy Henri. Also says Sengenes a MARFAU 47600 NERAC on the box
Any idea if it has any value. Was a gift, while in France in 1965.

Answer
HI Millie

This is a nice bottle of Armagnac--a region related to Cognac that also makes wonderful brandy.  it doesn't have any of the usual qualifiers (VSOP, etc.) so this is a regular release, and a similar product today would probably sell for around $50-75.  

Distilled spirits like this are so high in alcohol that they don't change much, for better or for worse, over time.  The good news is that this should be perfectly good to drink.  The bad news is that it won't have appreciated in value the way the some fine wines do.  It's still worth about the same amount as a similar bottling.

Hope that helps--and I'm sorry that I couldn't give you more exciting news.

Paul Wagner

Beverages

Paul Wagner