Beverages/prices in 1950s

Question
How much would a cheap bottle of whiskey cost in 1955? (Ideally in Canada/USA) Was Seagrams 7 a cheap whiskey? If not, what was?

Answer
Hi Kathryn

In the 1950's top wines sold for much less than $5 a bottle, and the same was true of whiskey.  I have a few wine lists from the 1950s where the prices are in this range--and that's in a restaurant.  Of course prices in a retail shop would be less.

In fact, in those days the taxes on whiskey were a big part of the total price.  They're a much smaller percentage of the overall price today.  

Hope that helps.

Paul Wagner  

Beverages

Paul Wagner