Beverages/prices in 1950s

How much would a cheap bottle of whiskey cost in 1955? (Ideally in Canada/USA) Was Seagrams 7 a cheap whiskey? If not, what was?

Hi Kathryn

In the 1950's top wines sold for much less than $5 a bottle, and the same was true of whiskey.  I have a few wine lists from the 1950s where the prices are in this range--and that's in a restaurant.  Of course prices in a retail shop would be less.

In fact, in those days the taxes on whiskey were a big part of the total price.  They're a much smaller percentage of the overall price today.  

Hope that helps.

Paul Wagner  

Paul Wagner

I have spent most of my adult life eating and drinking throughout the world, and can usually remember some of it! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about food and drink on the air.

30 years in the business.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the past 20 years.

Diageo Chateau & Estate Wines Company, The Court of Master Sommeliers, Constellation Wines, The Union des Grands Crus de Bordeaux, Vinitaly, Napa County Agricultural Commissioner.