Beverages/approx age of a bottle I have

Dowling distillers in Lawrenceburg, Kentucky - LABEL READS: aged 20 years   Very Rare   Collector's Item  94.6 proof   Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whisky   Genuine Old Style Sour Mash   Has the number 694951850 on red label that sticks over the top of bottle. Came in a leather case w/capacity for 2 bottles, including 4 metal shot glasses, cork screw, opener & stirring stick. Can you tell me how old the bottle is? (was my deceased husband's fathers & in the family MANY years b4 he inherited it)  Also it has a net over the bottle.

Hi Sandra

In general, distilled spirits like this are so high in alcohol that they don't change much over time, for better or for worse.  The good news is that this should be perfectly good to drink.  The bad news is that it won't have appreciated in value the way some fine wines do.  It's worth about what a nice bottle of Bourbon is worth today-$50-plus the added value of the gift set.  I am sorry, but that's not very exciting news.

But the whole package may have more value to bottle collections than to Bourbon connoisseurs.  you should check my answer with the nice people at  They're the ones who collect these things, and they can tell you if the gift pack is worth more than the liquid itself.

Hope that helps

Paul Wagner  

Paul Wagner

I have spent most of my adult life eating and drinking throughout the world, and can usually remember some of it! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about food and drink on the air.

30 years in the business.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the past 20 years.

Diageo Chateau & Estate Wines Company, The Court of Master Sommeliers, Constellation Wines, The Union des Grands Crus de Bordeaux, Vinitaly, Napa County Agricultural Commissioner.