Beverages/Antique Cognac Decanters

I have the following:
26.5 oz. Baccarat Crystal Decanter of Grande Fine Champagne Napoleon (Cognac) from Albert Robin & Co. in a presentation box and
26 oz. Baccarat Crystal Decanter of Courvoisier V.S.O.P. Fine Champagne Cognac from J.M. Douglas & Co. in a presentation box

Both were purchased in Montreal over 50 yrs. ago.

Are they still drinkable?  Are they valuable if unopened?  Can they be kept longer without losing the ability to be drinkable?

Hi Lynne

I have some good news for you.  Distilled spirits like this are so high in alcohol that they don't change much, for better or worse, once they are in the bottle.  Both of these should be fine to drink, and in fact should be delicious!

And yes, you can keep them pretty much for as long as you would like.  

The value question is trickier.  Spirits don't appreciate in value the way some fine wines do.   While these are certainly rare now, the liquid inside was never as select as the top bottlings of today that sell for such big prices.  I'd guess they might sell for $1-200 for the Robin to at most $4-600 for the Courvoisier...but bear in mind that those are retail auction price estimates.  You can't legally sell these yourself, so you'll have to go through a licensed retailer or auction house.  They'll charge a significant commission, and the final price might fall well short of the estimate.  Only the bidders know for sure, and you need at least two of those!

If these were mine I would open them on a special occasion and share them with family and friends over the next few years.  Or give one to someone who loves good Cognac.

Either way, they are really nice bottles!

Hope that helps.

Paul Wagner

Paul Wagner

I have spent most of my adult life eating and drinking throughout the world, and can usually remember some of it! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about food and drink on the air.

30 years in the business.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the past 20 years.

Diageo Chateau & Estate Wines Company, The Court of Master Sommeliers, Constellation Wines, The Union des Grands Crus de Bordeaux, Vinitaly, Napa County Agricultural Commissioner.