Beverages/Canadian whiskey

Question
I have a sealed, 1958 Lord Calvert ship decanter bottle with the whiskey still in it and would like to know what the value is.

Answer
Hi Robert

Distilled spirits like this are so high in alcohol that they don't change much, for better or for worse, over time. So the good news is that this bottle is perfectly good to drink. The bad news is that it won't have appreciated in value the way some fine wines do.  This is worth about what a similar bottle would cost today--something like $50-75.

But the decanter might well be worth more than its contents. Check with the very nice people at antiquebottles.com to see if that's the case.

It's illegal for private individuals to sell alcoholic beverages in the USA, so you'd have to work through a licensed retailer or auction house to sell this.  They would charge a significant commission, so it might not be worth it.

Hope that helps.  At least you have a nice bottle to drink!

Paul Wagner

Beverages

Paul Wagner