Beverly Hills 90210/Dylan's Money

Throughout the series but especially in Seasons 3 and 4, it is mentioned that Dylan has millions.  When he "runs away" and meets the  wealthy woman on the ranch (Ann) in Season three, he says he will inherit hundreds of millions at age 21.  When his Dad is released from prison and wants access to this money again, once again we get the impression that there is a lot of money.

However, in the next season when he is investing and losing his money with Erica's mom and her boy friend, they note it is about $4 million.  So, he is then almost broke at the beginning of season 5.  He gets Jonesy to get it back for him and agrees to give him half.  This leaves him with about $2 million total, $10K of which he gives to Val plus investing more in the Peach Pit After Dark, etc.  

Less than $2million does not seem rich and what happened to the previous "hundreds of millions"  in the trust fund.  He seems to have money to live in a hotel and attend the university in later seasons.  So, just how rich is he?

My unsatisfying answer is that we don't really know how rich Dylan is. You've identified many inconsistencies that arose regarding his fortune. It seemed, especially after Jonesy found Kevin and Suzanne, that Dylan had as much money as the writers wanted him to have in a particular episode. I agree that Dylan seemed to spend quite freely for someone who wasn't super-rich.  

Beverly Hills 90210

The questions I will be best at answering will relate directly to the show (any of the ten seasons) and the plotlines. I have seen every episode countless times, and know tons of stupid and pointless trivia. If you give me a question about your life, I can often (frequently?) find a Beverly Hills, 90210 episode to which it relates. I do follow the main actors as well, and watch the new 90210.

Besides watching the show since 1990 in the original airings, I follow many of the cast members on twitter, facebook, etc. I was also chosen as Luke Perry's #1 fan by MTV, and interviewed him on the 1998 episode of their show FANatic. I have religiously wathced the episode repeats on FX and Soapnet.

This does not apply.