Beverly Hills 90210/Mary Anne Moore

Question
Hey Mel. I was wondering why, at her party, Mary Anne Moore threw her shoe into the pool for people to find. It just seems so random. I mean, if it was a goodies bag or cool water toy to see who gets it first, that may make sense. But her shoe? And everyone got all excited over it and actually went to hunt for it. Is this some 90s cultural/TV plot thing I'm missing, or were the writers just being weird?

Answer
Hi Kayla,

When Marianne Moore throws her shoe in the pool for the party-goers to fetch, I took it to mean that she was A) showing how fun-loving and how much of an unpredictable Party Girl she could be (as that's exactly what her reputation dictates, despite being relatively unhappy and feeling removed from the scene, as she discloses to Brandon privately) - i.e., keeping up appearances, as host, and B) Tossing her shoe into the pool and watching people scramble to go after it reinforces a certain power dynamic between her and her peers.  They're basically like her 'followers' and their response makes her feel momentarily idolized and like she's an active part of the life that's been created for her as the result of (too much) popularity.  

There's no 90's TV/cultural thing that you're missing.  It's just 'look at how much influence this one girl's actions can wield over a crowd'.  

Thanks for the question!

All the best,

Mel

Beverly Hills 90210

Mel