Bible Studies/How do we know whether God's revelation to man is complete?

Question
Hi Todd,
How do we know whether God's revelation to man is complete? What is God's revelation to man?
Thanks.
Jamie

Answer
Hi Jamie,
This is a very loaded question and entire books have been written on this topic which I highly recommend you read. Basically, reputable Christian scholars are in 100% complete agreement that God's "revelation to man" is complete as far as the Bible, God's Word, the ultimate authority in our lives. However, God still reveals things to man and is very active in the lives of a true convert. Unfortunately most people who are religious are just that, religious, and have not been genuinely converted. When someone is genuinely converted, the Holy Spirit (God) begins to live inside of them and He leads and guides us, constantly revealing things to us. We know God's revelation to man is complete in terms of the Bible primarily because it was understood from the very beginning which books were inspired and part of the Canon, and which ones were not. The early church, even in the Book of Acts, knew the "Gospels" (Matthew, Mark Luke and John) and Paul's letters were inspired. God clearly moved certain people to write under inspiration of the Holy Spirit and later He moved the early church to assemble the Bible together. Each book even had to pass stringent tests from several groups (councils) which eliminated books if they didn't pass certain tests ( e.g. if they were inaccurate, incomplete, etc). The Old Testament Canon was closed very early (before AD 90) and the 27 books of the New Testament was basically finalized with the Council of Carthage (AD 397).

It's interesting that Revelation 22:18-19 states a very stern warning to anyone who adds anything to this Book. God clearly takes His Word (and it's accuracy) very seriously:

"For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book; and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book."

So it is very clear that God's ultimate revelation was closed with the closing of the Canon (the Bible), however God still reveals His plans, His Word, His secrets, and Himself to those like myself who have been genuinely converted.

I hope this helps and I pray you trust completely in God's Word because you can have complete faith in it. It has stood the test of time and not one inaccuracy or contradiction has even been found in it. There are hundreds of books on these topics and I encourage you to go to your local Christian book store or even online for more information.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Best,
Todd Tyszka

Bible Studies

Todd Tyszka