Bible Studies/Gen 15

Question
Sir,

In Genesis 15 v9-13 could you please help to clarify the significance of the activities therein. is it correct to say that if Abraham stayed awake to chase the fowls away, his descendants would not have gone into bondage?

Thank you

Answer
Hi Afolabi,
Thank you for the interesting question.

Abraham wasn't sleeping when the birds came, he just simply drove them away. This is symbolic of keeping watch on our spiritual sacrifices. When vain thoughts, like these birds, come down upon our sacrifices, we must drive them away, and seek to attend to God without distraction. Later, the Lord has a smoking firepot with a blazing torch pass between the halves, something that was typical of covenants of that day (Jeremiah 34:18,19) symbolizing that if the covenant wasn't kept, they should be cut in half like the animals. It is also symbolic of the Israelites being separated and reunited. The blazing torch is symbolic of the Lord and the smoking firepot/furnace are symbolic of the Israelite trials and affliction in Egypt. It is probable that the firepot and torch consumed the sacrifices on either side as it passed between them, completing the sacrifice like Gideon's (Judges 6:21), Manoah's (Judges 13:19,20), and Solomon's (2 Chronicles 7:1).

Thanks again for the excellent question and I'm glad I could answer it for you. If you have any other questions, please let me know!

Todd

Bible Studies

Todd Tyszka