Bible Studies/death

Question
is there anything in the bible that would say anything about wishing death for ones self?

Answer
Dear Mitchel,

Thank you for your question. Yes, the Bible does say something “about wishing death for oneself”.

Jesus said:

Mat 5:21  "You have heard that it was said to those of old, 'YOU SHALL NOT MURDER, and whoever murders will be in danger of the judgment.'
Mat 5:22  But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother [yourself(?)] without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment....

Mat 5:27  "You have heard that it was said to those of old, 'YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT ADULTERY.'
Mat 5:28  But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

I know that murder and adultery are not in your question. But the point is that Jesus said that what a person thinks about these things in his/her heart is counted by God as though he/she has actually done it.

Applying this to your question, God would be applying your death wish to you as though you had already killed yourself. So that should be deterrent enough to think of the actual act/thought.
But your real question is not about wishing death upon yourself. Your real question deals with how to find peace of heart and happiness in your life so that it will be worth living. And you can’t find that happiness or peace except in Jesus.

Notice what He said:

Mat 11:28  Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Mat 11:29  Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
Mat 11:30  For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."

The heaviest load we have to bear is the weight of sin, and all the things and attitudes it has caused ... sin with all it’s unhappiness and its results upon ourselves and those who live around us. But Jesus promises to lift that load and to give us the rest that we need so much.

Joh 14:27  Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

What is the effects of the peace that Jesus gives us? “Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.”

Jesus wants to take away from us all the fears and heartache and sorrow that make life so very difficult. He wants to take these things and leave us with rest and peace. And the reason that He can do that for us is the fact that He died for us and took upon Himself all the sins we’ve committed in the past, the present or future. That doesn’t mean we should disobey him now. It means that whenever you find that you’ve sinned, all you have to do is follow the counsel of Jesus’ disciple, John:

1Jn 1:9  If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

So when we’ve committed a sin, all we have to do is to confess to Jesus that we’ve sinned, and He will forgive us, and cleanse us from all the sins that we’ve committed without knowing it.
Jesus loves you: He said to us, through His prophet?

Jer. 31:3  The LORD has appeared of old to me, saying: "Yes, I have loved you with an everlasting love; Therefore with loving kindness I have drawn you.

Give Jesus all your woes, sorrows, and unhappiness. Let Him take away all your desire to kill yourself. He promises He’ll do it: “... come unto me and rest...” he says. Lay on Me all the things that disappoint you and burst the bubble of joy in your life. Lay them all on Him, and He will take them and bear them Himself.

God bless you, Mitchel as you come to Jesus and find rest to your soul.

Thurman C. Petty, Jr.
pettypress@gmail.com

Check out my web page: www.PettyPress.com  I’m a writer and have placed on my site 18 of the books I’ve written, 43 Bible study lessons, and much more. All of this is free to anyone who reads it.

Bible Studies

Thurman C. Petty, Jr.