Bible Studies/financial help for adult child

Question
Does God's word say that it is against His teaching to help adult children financially?

Answer
Hi Richard,

Thank you for this interesting question.  While the Bible does not directly forbid helping adult children financially, there are warnings about laziness.  Sure there are times when adult children can use help, but it is unwise to reinforce bad behavior by saving them from natural consequences of their bad decisions.  Those consequences are designed by God to motivate them to make different decisions.  If by helping financially, we shield them from the motivation they need to make different decisions, we are actually hurting them and not helping.  

2 Thessalonians 3:10 (AV)
10 For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.

Galatians 6:7 (AV)
7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

I hope that this helps you.

In Christ
Pastor Don

Bible Studies

Pastor Don Carpenter