Bible Studies/financial help for adult child

Does God's word say that it is against His teaching to help adult children financially?

Hi Richard,

Thank you for this interesting question.  While the Bible does not directly forbid helping adult children financially, there are warnings about laziness.  Sure there are times when adult children can use help, but it is unwise to reinforce bad behavior by saving them from natural consequences of their bad decisions.  Those consequences are designed by God to motivate them to make different decisions.  If by helping financially, we shield them from the motivation they need to make different decisions, we are actually hurting them and not helping.  

2 Thessalonians 3:10 (AV)
10 For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.

Galatians 6:7 (AV)
7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

I hope that this helps you.

In Christ
Pastor Don

Bible Studies

Pastor Don Carpenter

I believe that every word of the Bible is God-Breathed. This blessed book is the foundation of truth for faith and practice. If you ask this volunteer a question you will receive an answer from the Bible that is based upon a litteral, normal interpretation, taking into account the grammar and culture of the time.

I have been in the ministry for almosat 20 years. During this time I served as youth pastor, assistant pastor, counselor, and Senior Pastor. Currently I serve as a Senior Pastor for an independent fundamental Baptist Church in New England.

Revival Chronicles

BS in Bible from Baptist Bible College, Clarks Summit, PA