Bible Studies/meaning of gospel passages

Question
can you tell me the meaning of these gospel passages? Write as much az u can. a.With the measure you use you will be measured.
b. Who is my mother, who is my brothers. c. See to it that the light within you is not darkness.d. Let the dead bury the dead. e.Give to Caesar what is Caesars and to God what is God's f. This is a wicked generation that requires a sign    g. U can't serve both God and money.

Answer
Hello Bob..and thanks for writing. In answering your questions all scriptures quoted will be from the KJV.

In most of the cases, the scripture itself provides clarification of the questions you ask:

A. Matthew 7:2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

Now you asked specifically about measure, but in order to gain full understanding, we must understand the full context of the scriptures.

Literally, what this passage of scripture is saying is:

Do not pass judgment or condemn others for their faults, for whatever sentence we pronounce based on our opinions of things, the same sentence or punishment will be given or passed on us; the methods or form of opinions, the basis of our judgement, will be the same that will be used to judge us.

It is natural for mankind to be judgmental of others and generally form and hold harsh opinions about the faults they see. On the otherhand, when being judged, we usually have many excuses for our behavior, don't see our behavior as negative, or want the utmost consideration of our condition. We want to be treated with compassion and understanding, while not being willing to give the same.

So the Bible tells us...How you judge others will be the way you are judged!

When reading the entire subject matter as found in Matthew 7, we see that the chapter opens with a statement of "warning":

Matthew 7:1

Judge not, that ye be not judged.

As we read further, the matter is explained:

Matthew 7:3-5

3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?

5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

As stated before, we can generally see the faults of others and are far to willing to try and tell that person how to correct what is wrong,however, we hardly ever address our own faults and tend to take the high ground of the all knowing, when we are just as messed up as the person we are forcing our help on. We will give that person advice that we ourselves wont follow. This is what makes us HYPOCRITES!

Listen to the advice the Bible gives us on this matter:

Galatians 6:1
Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.

Brothers, Sisters, if you see someone overtaken in their faults and sin, you who have "matured" and moved passed fleshly selfish judgement and are guided by the Holy Spirit and of rational mind; go to that persons aid and help them through; be loving, understanding always considering your own faults and the forgiveness you have received, so that you are not put on trial and judged.

B. Matthew 12:48-50 ( also see Mark 3:33-35#

47 Then one said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to speak with thee.

48 But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren?

49 And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!

50 For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother

Here we see Jesus making a distinction between that which is flesh and that of the Spirit. Yes, his "fleshly" mother and brothers were outside desiring to see him, but he explained to those present that there is another family, a permanent family, born of the spirit that shall never die, and these are they that do the will of the Father. These are they that are of his family, for he is of the Father! That which is flesh and seeks the will and desires of the flesh have no part of this spiritual family.

c. Luke 11:34-35

34 The light of the body is the eye: therefore when thine eye is single, thy whole body also  is full of light; but when thine eye is evil, thy body also is full of darkness.

35 Take heed therefore that the light which is in thee be not darkness.

This particular passage of scripture has many revelations, but please allow me to explain it this way:

In verse 33 it states:

No man, when he hath lighted a candle, putteth it in a secret place, neither under a bushel, but on a candlestick, that they which come in may see the light.

As we live our lives we take in many things. We form opinions, beliefs etc. by what we take in. These things and how we perceive them ultimately govern our actions and reactions to things. These things form who we are. If we never take in the proper knowledge of things and learn to view things in Truth, then we will never be able to react in Truth thereby causing us to rely upon mans wisdom as a guide.  Whereas we can clean up our exterior..or curtail our ways or actions so that others would say we are good..the truth of the matter is those actions do not line up with our thoughts and are only hiding what is inevitable; negative reaction and constant negative thought. Therein lies the darkness inside us.

When we become Christians and truly follow Christ and the guide of the Holy Spirit:

2 Corinthians 5:17
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Our way of looking at things, reaction to things are different; the old ways continually leave us in our walk therefore allowing us to have a proper view as we take in True knowledge of things and gain understanding. Our actions, thoughts etc. all  line up with each other, and no matter what come...we react according to the "True" light that is now within us.

By this "True Light" that shines from us, we are thereby separated, identified and become illumination for all mankind:

Matthew 5:14-16

King James Version #KJV)

14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

15 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.

16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

If you will allow, please let me answer d-g in a follow up correspondence.

God Bless,

Rev. Darryl Murphy  

Bible Studies

Rev. Darryl Murphy