Bible Studies/pigeons or doves in the bible?

Question
the Greek word "peristera" in john 2:14 translated pigeons,in john 1:32 translated dove. this difference is in the bible version include Weymouth,god's word and good news version, but in most of other version it translated into the same word "dove". is this word mean pigeon or dove?

Answer
In the King James text, it says that people were selling doves in the temple.  The Greek word is "peristera," which, according to the Strong's Concordance, can be translated as dove or pigeon.  "Peristera" is also used in John 1:32 as "dove." Consider Leviticus 1:14: "If the offering to the Lord is a burnt offering, he is to offer a dove or a young pigeon." (see also Leviticus 14:22, 15:14, Numbers 6:10).  When it came to sacrificial offering, either a dove or pigeon could be used.  Likely, those were who selling doves in the temple (which may, too, have included pigeons) were for offerings.  I think a key to why the Spirit is depicted "like" a dove may be found in Psalm 55: 4-6:  "My heart is in anguish within me; the terrors of death assail me.  Fear and trembling have beset me; horror has overwhelmed me.  I said, 'Oh, that is had the wings of a dove! I would fly away and be at rest--"  Here, a dove represents freedom and liberation, which is what Jesus brings to people.  A reason why "dove" (rather than pigeon) is used is likely because the dove, or what it represents, gives special meaning to the passage.  Joel

Bible Studies

Joel Bjorling