Bible Studies/The wedding feast at Cana. (John 2)

The wedding at Cana: The wine that Jesus turned water into; the word used there is "oinos". Which is Greek for wine. Not grape juice. That would mean, of course, wine made from the fermented juice of grapes. A number of pastors and preachers I have heard over the years insist that what Jesus produced was the non alcoholic juice of grapes, not wine, apparently offended by their own personal stance concerning the consumption of alcohol. I am in no way trying to justify the use of alcohol with this question. Just searching for  an accurate and truthful interpretation of what happened at this event.

Those pastors are mistaken. Even the text say that after the guests were slightly drunk they appreciated the replacement wine because it was so potent.

The rite comes into Christianity from the Jewish rite, which is done with wine (fermented). Due to alcoholism and other related issues there is nothing wrong with using (kosher) grape juice, some non-Orthodox Jews do. This is the alternative however not the norm.

Bible Studies

John of AllFaith

I believe the Bible should be understood from the perspective in which it was written: Judaism. Rebbe Y'shua (Jesus) was a first century Rabbinic Jew. I will be happy to discuss all aspects of Christianity, Judaism, biblical doctrine, prophecies, etc. from this perspective. The Bible offers a wealth of information to us! So if you are wondering what the Bible has to say on a given topic drop me a note.
I have experience with several different Christian denominations as well as Judaism and other religions.

44 plus years of seeking God and a lot of study.

Ordained independent Jewish rabbi, three Christian ordinations (Baptist, Calvary Chapel and an independent Christian Church), an MA in Religious Studies, an ordination in Ministry and Spiritual Counseling from the Interfaith Seminaries, 44 plus years of sincere seeking/practicing and 15 years answering questions and posting studies online. Author of and and other websites and blogs.