Bible Studies/Early church father

Question
"...there are sins too ruinous, and too serious to receive pardon. Such are murder, idolatry, fraud, denial of Christ, blasphemy, and of course adultery and fornication...Christ will no more intercede for those: he who has been born of God will never commit them: if he has committed them he will not be a son of God." ?? Tertullian AD 200

what do you make of this statment by tertullian?? its hard to believe. Nobody has a chance.

Answer
Josh, Tertullian of Carthage [died about 230 AD] became a controversial writer after his conversion about 197 AD to Christianity.

He wrote an Apologeticum and a work against heretics. Tertullian refuted the errors of Marcion, a Gnostic, and helped formulate a Latin terminology for theologians.  His many writing concerned, prayer, Baptism, resurrection, chastity, modesty, idolatry, etc.

A moral rigorist, he grew extreme. About 10 years after conversion, Tertullian became a follower of Montanus of Phyrigia.  Montanism [heretical] professed an austere code of conduct, denied the possibility of forgiveness for grievous sins, and warned of the approach of the approaching final judgement.
The Church maintained the possibility of conversion, repentance, and forgiveness of all sins -- with the help of God's grace together with a person's appropriate sorrow and resolution of avoid serious sin in the future.

I hope these thoughts help you to evaluate your quotation against forgiveness of sin.
As always, you are welcome to write again on this or other topics.
Best wishes for a blessed Christmas and a grace-filled New Year.

Bible Studies

Edward Bode