Bible Studies/Religion.. I guess

Question
In what century was the old testament written?
and...
Here's my essay topic I'd like to see what you think about the question I proposed. In what ways has the Bible shaped the conception of gender roles and how has it played out in politics?

Answer
Hello Daylin

Thank you for your question - the first one!

The Old Testament (OT) was not written in any single century.  It was put into written form during a period of some 1,000 years - approximately between the 12th century BC and the 2nd century BC.  However, much of it had existed in oral form for many centuries before that.  Many scholars would reckon that the book of Job is the oldest one in the OT library; while the "Books of Moses" refer to the very creation of all that is and, therefore, to a time before that of even Job!

I do not normally deal with "homework" questions.  My only comment on your essay topic is that you are taking on a lot in seeking to deal with two separate, and often contentious, issues in one piece of work.  I wish you well in your endeavours!

Blessings.

C.Brian Ross (Rev)

Bible Studies

Rev C.Brian Ross