Bible Studies/honour

can you please tell me the references related to the word HONOUR in the bible?

Thank you for inquiring with All Experts

The principal Hebrew term denoting “honor” is ka•vohdh′, which literally means “heaviness.” (Compare the use of related terms in 1Samuel 4:18 and 2 Samuel 14:26.) So a person who is honored is regarded as being weighty, or amounting to something. In Greek, the noun ti•me′ conveys the sense of “honor,” “esteem,” “value,” “preciousness.” Thus the verb ti•ma′o can also mean “set a price on” (Mattew 27:9); the noun ti•me′ can have the sense of “price,” “value” (Matthew 27:6; Acts 4:34); and the adjective ti′mi•os can mean “esteemed,” “dear, or valuable,” and “precious.”—Acts 5:34; 20:24; 1 Corinthians 3:12.

Jehovah God and His Son

By reason of his Creatorship and Sovereignty, Jehovah God is deserving of honor, reverential regard or respect. (1Timothy 1:17; Hebrew 3:3, 4; Revelation 4:9-11) People render this honor by doing what is pleasing in his sight, as his Son did at all times. (John 8:29, 49) While the Law covenant was in effect, the Israelites could honor Jehovah by presenting their very best as sacrifices.—Proverbs 3:9; Malachi 1:6-8.

Mere formalistic observance of the outward forms of worship does not constitute a true honoring of the Almighty. There also needs to be a real love for Jehovah’s ways and a heartfelt desire to do his will. This was lacking among the religious leaders of Judaism in the time of Jesus’ earthly ministry.—Mark 7:6; Isaiah 29:13.
Jesus Christ set the perfect example in honoring his Father, carrying out His will flawlessly to the point of laying down his life in sacrifice. (Matthew 26:39; John 10:17, 18) Because he delighted to do the Father’s will, his Father honored him by acknowledging him as His beloved and approved Son. (2 Peter 1:17; Mt 17:5)

After the completion of Jesus’ earthly course, God conferred far greater honor and dignity upon his Son than Jesus had before his becoming a man. (Phillip 2:9-11) The case of Jesus Christ illustrates how the Most High will honor all who honor Him, recognizing them as His approved servants and blessing them beyond measure.—1 Samuel 2:30.

Since it was Jehovah God who highly exalted his Son, all who refuse to acknowledge Jesus Christ as the immortal King of kings and Lord of lords dishonor the Father. Because of who he is and what he has accomplished, the Son deserves honor and loyal support. (John 5:23; 1Timothy 6:15, 16; Revelation 5:11-13) All who desire to be honored by the Son as his approved disciples must imitate his example and faithfully adhere to his teaching.—Romans 2:7, 10.

Other Persons to Be Honored

Whereas Jehovah God and his Son merit the greatest honor, there are relationships among humans that also call for honor. Children are to honor their parents by being obedient. (Deuteronomy 5:16; Ephesians 6:1, 2) When parents come into need, their adult offspring can show honor by responding willingly with material aid. (Matthew 15:4-6; 1 Timothy 5:3, 4) Whereas the husband would honor his wife by treating her lovingly and with dignity, the wife would honor her husband by being in subjection and showing deep respect. (1Peter 3:1-7) Elders [in the congregation or church] who worked hard in teaching were to be given “double honor,” which evidently included material aid. (1Timothy 5:17, 18) Christian slaves were to honor their masters by respectfully discharging the tasks assigned to them. (1Timothy 6:1, 2) Rulers and others in authority should be given the honor, or respect, that their position requires. (Romans 13:7) Regardless of their station in life, people of all sorts, as part of God’s creation, are deserving of honor.—1Peter 2:17.

Christians are to take the lead in showing honor to fellow believers. (Romans 12:10) This includes seeking not one’s own advantage but that of others. (1Co 10:24) It calls for a willingness to perform humble tasks. (Luke 22:26; John 13:12-17) This fine spirit can be maintained by remembering that every believer is precious to God and that Christians need one another, just as each member of the human body is dependent on the others.—1Corinthians 12:14-27.

While not being glory seekers, Christians are rightly concerned about maintaining an honorable standing before Jehovah God and his Son. This necessitates guarding against associations that corrupt and resisting the desires of the sinful flesh. Only by remaining morally and spiritually pure does one remain an honorable vessel for God’s use. (1Thessalonians 4:3-8; 2Timothy 2:20-22; Hebrews 13:4) Therein lies real honor.

References: Insight into the Scriptures Volume I and the Holy Scriptures  

Bible Studies

Dr. DDD, M.S.,Psy.D, CASA

I will try and answer almost any question on religious and spiritually related subject matter. Please let the inquiry be base on the person’s earnest, honesty and whole-hearted approach combined with good faith. Let the inquirer humbly seek answers to further their knowledge of scriptures, culture, and overall increase his or her relationship with our Creator. Our relationship through this inquiry will not involve bashing, discrediting, or dishonoring other informational providers on this forum or any other forum and/or religion. I will quote from sources if possible and provide their information on this forum.

I am an active Christian using the old title International Bible Students and have been disciplined with over 30 years of bible based knowledge with informational data to support biblical history and culture. I, as well as the organization, am currently researching new information as more research comes to light; which means that subject matters are becoming clearer and thus being disseminated to those who want to be taught. If during our uplifting discussion, I have erred in reasoning or in presenting the information, I will apologize sincerely. I will not allow my knowledge or sinful tendencies of pride to cloud my judgment. The first step in any discussion is recognizing our humility and imperfect state in this world and that all that is spoken is derived from our Creator, Jehovah God.

I belong to the Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses.

My writings have appeared in local, nationally and global wide.

Seven days a week I attend a biblical study course involving the old and new testaments. I pertain to the Biblical Archeology Studies,Ancient Civilizations, and Biblical Daily History. Ive been an ordained minister since 1984 but have been enthralled in biblical history since I was a child.

All honors and awards belong to God and none to me.

My past and current clients would like to keep their relationship with me confidential and I respect thier wishes.