Bible Studies/1st Samuel

Hello Teacher Scott! Guess who?

Well, this time my question comes from 1st Samuel. I noticed that in Chapter 3; vs 7. That Samuel did not yet know the Lord nor was the Word revealed to him.

The way it sounds, is that Samuel had absolutlely no clue? Because his mother came up every year to give him a new coat, and she never said anything? That Eli never told him why he didn't live with his parents?

Or is there something I don't quite understand?

Um, let me see ... Joyce? Hi, Joyce!

I Samuel 3:7 (NIV) says, "Now Samuel did not yet know the LORD: The word of the LORD had not yet been revealed to him."

Samuel was a prophet. In those days, God would often communicate to His people through prophets. That is, He would give them direction and a message that was to be communicated to the people. This is one of the things for which Samuel was well known--his role as a prophet.

However, up until this point in Samuel's life, God had not come to him with a message. Samuel did not yet "know the Lord" from the standpoint of direct interaction. The word (or message) of the Lord had not yet been revealed to him.

Samuel may have been told that he had been dedicated to God for service in the temple. But no one told him that he would be a prophet. Perhaps no one knew. It was God who chose Samuel for this task. And this chapter marks the point in Samuel's life at which this fact was made known.

Bible Studies

Scott Talbot

I have studied the Bible and Bible-related topics since the time I was very young. My education includes a Bachelor of Science degree with a major in Bible, and a Master of Divinity degree. I enjoy delving into deep theological issues and always enjoy a healthy debate. But more importantly, I like working with people and helping them to find the answers that they are looking for. And I am convinced that these answers are available in the Bible.

By the grace and mercy of God, I have been saved, born again, adopted into the family of God. God has given me a love for the Bible, and for Bible-related subjects. In addition, He has blessed me with ongoing training in the Scriptures, from my youth on up. The more I learn about God through His Word, the more I want to share!

Campus Crusade for Christ, Grace Church at Willow Valley

Pillsbury Baptist Bible College - B.S. Bible & Pastorology; Calvary Baptist Theological Seminary - M.Div.