Bible Studies/Ephesians 1:10

All the famous commentators agree that this passage and in particular this verse means that God has been the one who has "arranged" history so that all things could come under one head, and that head is Christ.

1) Stalin Killed almost 20 million people, then you have hitler. History itself is just a series of horrors - even a lot of the history of the church. If God is the head and arranger of history as the ancient Greek would assume, how can I possibly believe he is loving. The fact that Stalin killed 20 million people cant be shrugged off and said that God had nothing to do with it - its way to big an historicle event to say that. So just what kind of God would arrange history the way history has presented itself?

Hi Pete,

Thanks for this interesting question.  Let us look at what the verse actually says:

Ephesians 1:10 (AV)
10 That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:

The passage has been talking about those "In Christ" or those who will believe in the Gospel.  Verse 10 simply says that there will come a time when God will gather all those who are in Christ to be together in one place... this verse has nothing to do with explaining God's permissive or perfect will.

I hope that this helps.

In Christ
Pastor Don

Bible Studies

Pastor Don Carpenter

I believe that every word of the Bible is God-Breathed. This blessed book is the foundation of truth for faith and practice. If you ask this volunteer a question you will receive an answer from the Bible that is based upon a litteral, normal interpretation, taking into account the grammar and culture of the time.

I have been in the ministry for almosat 20 years. During this time I served as youth pastor, assistant pastor, counselor, and Senior Pastor. Currently I serve as a Senior Pastor for an independent fundamental Baptist Church in New England.

Revival Chronicles

BS in Bible from Baptist Bible College, Clarks Summit, PA