Bible Studies/perfect

Good Day

Concerning 1 Cor 13 v10, what is your opinion of what exactly is this perfect they are referring to hear?

Hello gawynne,
Thank you for you question. We have to consider ICor. 13:10 in the light of two things: 1. Context 2.The core meaning of 'to teleion'.
Considered in that light, to teleion of I Cor. 13:10 probably does not refer to Christ, the Second Coming of Christ, or Heaven.
     *In I Cor. 13:10 the teleion is in theNeuter gender, not in the masculine. So, it can't properly be understood as referring to 'the teleion' person, but to the
       Teleion thing!

To help you understand this you can examine these scriptures ( to teleion = thing).
 John 4:34. John 5:36. Col. 4:12. James 1:4

Most translations render 'to teleion' as "the perfect".  However, honoring the 'context' the NRSV correctly translates 13:10 "... But when the 'complete' comes..."   The complete ( to teleion' is clearly contrasted with 'EKG metro us", literally, 'out of pieces or parts.'  " That which was " in part.." The knowledge, of truth imparted through the gift of knowledge, the revelations of God's will imparted to believers through the gift of tongues... Was to pass away and cease WHEN
'The teleion' ( complete) comes.

To teleion  is usually translated "the perfect" , but more properly translated "  When the COMPELETE!

I hope this brings some light to your understanding, my friend.

God bless,

Rev. Ramona Stonecipher

Bible Studies

Reverend Ramona C. Stonecipher

As a Pastor,and Bible scholar, I can help you find answers to questions of faith. We can explore the power of prayer and the power of the Holy Spirit in your life. I can help you cultivate a personal relationship with Jesus, the Christ of God. While I alone, can't solve your problems, I can lead you to the One who can. I can't make you believe, or have faith, but I can plant the seeds of faith and introduce you to the One who is the Gardener. I can also tell you, and show you, that God loves you, and our God is a God of second chances. I hope you'll accept my invitation to walk the Damascus Road together__. Welcome.

35 35+ years teaching Biblical Studies 30 years preaching the Word of God 30+ years Public Speaking (Spiritual Retreats & Worship Experiences) Counselor, Suicide Prevention, Kansas City, Missouri

Concerned Women of America

Ordained Minister: United Methodist Graduate: Saint Paul School of Theology, Kansas City, Missouri *Masters Degree in Theology *Bible Scholar/Teacher/Speaker CPA Degree, Baptist Medical Hospital, Kansas City, Missouri Graduate: University of Nebraska Graduate Studies: Fairleigh Dickenson University, New Jersey (Psychology)

Harry Denman Evangelical Award Who's Who American Colleges and Universities 1982