Bible Studies/the devil's work

QUESTION: 1 john 3:8 says that our Lord came into the world to destroy the works of the devil. If this is so why is there still evil in the world?

Thanks for this great question.  The simple answer is that Jesus is not done with His work yet.  When He returns and banishes the Devil for good, then His work will be completed.

Revelation 20:510 (AV)
5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection. 6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years. 7 And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison, 8 And shall go out to deceive the nations which are in the four quarters of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together to battle: the number of whom is as the sand of the sea. 9 And they went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them. 10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

All in due time... Evil will be banished forever.

I hope that this helps you.

In Christ
Pastor Don

QUESTION: Thanks for that Revelation reference. It does shed light. Since our Lord is not done, what would be some examples today that some of the devil's work has been destroyed?

Hi Al,

Thanks for this follow up question.  The Devil tries to get us to think incorrectly.  We can use Christ's power to tear down strongholds in our minds and start to think correctly.

2 Corinthians 10:45 (AV)
4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;) 5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

We use God's truth to fight satan's lies.

Ephesians 6:1014 (AV)
10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. 11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. 13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. 14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;

I hope that this helps you.

In Christ
Pastor Don

Bible Studies

Pastor Don Carpenter

I believe that every word of the Bible is God-Breathed. This blessed book is the foundation of truth for faith and practice. If you ask this volunteer a question you will receive an answer from the Bible that is based upon a litteral, normal interpretation, taking into account the grammar and culture of the time.

I have been in the ministry for almosat 20 years. During this time I served as youth pastor, assistant pastor, counselor, and Senior Pastor. Currently I serve as a Senior Pastor for an independent fundamental Baptist Church in New England.

Revival Chronicles

BS in Bible from Baptist Bible College, Clarks Summit, PA