Bible Studies/does god love the people in hell

Question
Hello and thank you for taking my question. I would like to know if there is any definite biblical evidence as to whether or not God loves the people in hell. Thank you.

Answer
Hello Pete!

Thank you for a most interesting, and unusual, question.

The short answer, to the best of my knowledge, is 'No'!  I am unaware of any statement that "God loves the people in hell".

Having said that, it does remain that He loves the world (i.e. all of the people in it - past, present, and future) as we learn from John 3:16.  We also know that it is not His desire that any should end up in hell (II Pet.3:9).  Accordingly, I would maintain that God loves even those in hell, but that they are there because of their refusal to respond to His love in their mortal lives.

I am sorry that this is such a short answer, but I trust that it will be of some help to you.

Kind regards.

Bible Studies

Rev C.Brian Ross