Bible Studies/does god love the people in hell

Question
QUESTION: thank you for taking my question. I would like to know if there is any definite biblical evidence as to whether or not God loves the people in hell. Im not looking for an opinion or a the teaching of a certain church, but rather solid biblical evidence Thank you.

ANSWER: Hi Pete,

Thank you for this interesting question.  I will be honest, I do not know of a verse that specifically says that God loves those suffering in Hell, but I believe He does.  Here is why:

1.  His will is that all come to repentance and that none perish in Hell.

2 Peter 3:9 (AV)
9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

2.  Jesus loved and died for the whole world.

John 3:16 (AV)
16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

1 John 2:12 (AV)
1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: 2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

3.  Jesus wept over a city that rejected Him.

Matthew 23:37 (AV)
37 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!

So those are my reasonings that I believe that it grieves the heart of God for one sinner to fall into Hell.  I hope that this helps you.

In Christ
Pastor Don

QUESTION: THank you for your answer - I would be very interested to know where in the bible Jesus wept over Jerusalem rejecting him. Thank you

ANSWER: Thanks for this follow up.  I quoted Matthew 23:37 to prove Jesus was weeping over the city... look at what He said... this was a tearful plea.

I hope that this helps

In Christ
Pastor Don

QUESTION: I have studied this subject and read your response and believe God loves the people in hell. So this brings me to another very troublesome question. Knowing Gods character - how would you say he feels about people he loves suffering in hell. Is he sad? Or is he just very mentally healthy and so deals with it so well that he is not unhappy?

Answer
Thanks for this follow up question.  I believe that God can both feel love but respect our free will choice to reject Him and therefore He does not pine away in despair  because He knows that we had every chance to believe.  Anything more than that I simply do not know... these are matters beyond our understanding.

Isaiah 55:9 (AV)
9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

I hope that this helps you.

In Christ
Pastor Don

Bible Studies

Pastor Don Carpenter