Bible Studies/Gods love

John 15:10 states "If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commands and remain in his love." This would imply that one must keep God's commands in order to remain loved by him, yet the word AGAPE means a love given by God to sinners whether it is returned to Him or not. I dont understand, which one is it?

Dear Pete,

Sorry it's taken me so long to answer: I've been sick. But I'm well now, and able to answer you're question.

Thank you for your question about the love of God and keeping His commandments. We have to
be careful in seeking an understanding of the relationship between these two things. God
requires that those who are seeking salvation must be righteous. "Righteous" indicates that the one who is righteous is in harmony with God.

The 10 commandments are actually, a description of God's Character. God is love (1 John 4:8); but He is also righteous (Deut. 32:4, NKJV). God is perfect in love and for this reason He could never take a sinner (a person who breaks His commandments—1 John 3:4, KJV) into the absolute perfection of heaven. Sinners would be totally out of place in heaven, and would be miserable there. The purity of heaven will be a joy to those who are In harmony with God, but it would be torture for sinners. In fact, sinners would die if brought into God's presence. (Ex.33:20)

God was right in the beginning when He gave man the freedom of choice. It's cost God a lot of
trouble, and the loss of most of His children down through the millennia. And the concept of free will must have been important, because God put His own life on the line to defend it. And in the end, man's having the freedom of choice will prove to be a fabulous blessing to all who have been faithful to God.

We have to also realize that we have only a small view of God's work. God's love is so great, so vast, it's impossible for us to know or to understand the whole of it. We have to remember that the earth and its future are only a small part of the Universe—God's overall kingdom. What is best for the Universe, is best for the earth, and visa versa.

God's love must not only be seen in how He rescues us from being sinners, but what God chooses
to do with those who don't want to stop sinning. The destruction of sin and sinners at the end
time will be just as much an act of love as the salvation of the righteous at the Second Coming of Christ. And both of God's acts are motivated by love—love for the righteous in saving them; and love for sinners which refuses to let them continue suffering for the sins in which they have chosen to live. And both acts are based on the same code of life: the listing of which we call the 10 commandments.

These are the commands that Jesus referred to when He said: If you keep My commandments,
you will abide in My love.just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love."
John 15:10 (KJV) God's commandments cannot be changed, because they are a description of
His character. So Jesus is saying: “You are to live a life like mine by keeping my commandments
just like I have lived a life like My Fathers by keeping His commandments.”

Reading the Bible is very important to the Christian. It would be difficult to maintain a saving relationship with God without it. And learning about God and His requirements for us would be nearly impossible without some connection with God’s Holy Word.

Actually, if we watch for Him, we’ll find Jesus Christ in almost every passage of the Old and New Testaments. Sometimes He’s known as the Creator (cf. John 1:1-4, 10, 14); sometimes He’s known as “the Angel of the LORD” (Ex. 3:1-14; cf. John 8:56-58); sometimes He’s known as the “servant” (Isa. 52:13-53:12); and sometimes as the Messiah. Often He’s behind the scenes, working through those who live according to His will.

If you have difficulty understanding the Bible, there are many aids available to help you do this, (see list below). But above all, read your Bible for yourself, and pray that God will help you understand it.

Check out with other Bible questions you may have.

Stay close to Jesus.

Thurman C. Petty, Jr. (43 Bible lessons; 20 Books; more)

Sources of Bible study aids and answers for your questions.
Mail order Bible lessons: Amazing Facts Bible Lessons, PO Box 1058, Roseville, CA 95678
Telephone questions answered: 3ABN 1-800-752-3226 (pastoral dept., ext. 1)
On-line:; (Bible studies/Discover Bible Guides)
Television networks: HOPE Channel (Direct TV #368); 3ABN (Dish Network #9393)

Bible Studies

Thurman C. Petty, Jr.

I`ve been a Pastor and Bible teacher for 40 years.

I`m a writer--author of 18 Bible-based books and over 200 journal articles. Web site: where a lot of my books and writings are posted. I've been married to the same lovely lady for 55 years. We're more in love now than when we married. My wife and I were missionaries to Pitcairn Island, in the South Pacific, from 1982-1984.

I've been a member of the Seventh-day Adventist Church since the age of 9.

Books: Pacific Press Publishing Association; PettyPress. Number of titles published: 16. Journal Articles: Adventist Review; Signs of the Times; Guide Magazine; Ministry: A Journal for Clergy; Sabbath School Leadership; The Youth's Instructor; Student Movement; Cord, and others. Total Journal articles: over 200. Web Site: Contents: 18 of my books; 41 Bible study guides; over 30 sermons; Stories; poems; links to other sites, etc. E-mail address:

I have a BA and a Master`s degree--both degrees are in Biblical studies.

I was awarded the "Golden Cord" from my Alma Mater, Union College in Lincoln, Nebraska, for my foreign mission service.