Bible Studies/I've been fired by God!

I love God, I believe Jesus died on the cross & rose 3 days later to sit on the right hand side of God, I've been going to Church all my life, I believe every single word in the Bible is God-Breathed, and I don't know how to tell you more so you know I am a Christian.  I sin, please don't think I think I am sinless; I have probably sinned as I've typed this!  My question:  I finally, finally found what I thought was why God put me here, which was to work with Operation Christmas Child as the very best I possibly could.  I was an Area Coordinator, had a nice team, got an entire county wrapped up into this win/win wonderful way to introduce children to Jesus, and then, God fired me.  He gave me congestive heart failure and exhaustion so severe I could hardly climb porch steps.  Three years later my cong. heart failure is healed (a miracle of God), but immediately fibromyalga, and the fatigue is every bit as bad if not worse, and, lungs are failing too; getting hard to breathe.  (I'm age 72 so should've had another decade of working for God & OCC.  Why did God fire me thru sickness?  Why did He fire me period.  What horrid thing have or had I done?  Thank you.

Hi Mary,

I am so sorry that you have had to stop working with Operation Christmas Child because of health limitations. It is so fulfilling to be involved in God's work and to enjoy the rewards of knowing you're making a difference in the lives of many people--especially young children. To lose that opportunity must have been difficult.

But you should not interpret this as some kind of punishment from God.

If we were to interpret life's trials as being nothing but punishment, what would that say about such people as Joseph, Moses, Daniel, Esther, Job, or even Jesus?

Sometimes God allows us to endure difficult circumstances as a way of correcting us. But often He uses trials to shape and mold us into what He wants us to be. And it's always a good thing. While we may not understand what God is up to in our lives, He surely knows what He is doing!

Consider these passages:

Romans 8:28

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

James 1:2-8

2 Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. 4 Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. 5 If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. 6 But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. 7 That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord; 8 he is a double-minded man, unstable in all he does.

Pure JOY? Wow! Whenever we face trials? How can we do that? It's difficult unless we know that all trials are disguised gifts from God.

I believe that, if God has taken away from you the opportunity to serve with Operation Christmas Child as you have done, it doesn't mean that He's done using you. It only means that it's time to find a new way to plug in. Do some brainstorming. Pray about it. Discuss with your pastor, family members, and friends. Where can God use you in this next chapter of your life? (Perhaps you can still be involved with Operation Christmas Child, but in a different capacity.)

Something tells me that, within the next several months (if not much sooner), you will discover this "new chapter." When you do, I want to hear about it. Will you please write me and tell me? And feel free to contact me any time!

Bible Studies

Scott Talbot

I have studied the Bible and Bible-related topics since the time I was very young. My education includes a Bachelor of Science degree with a major in Bible, and a Master of Divinity degree. I enjoy delving into deep theological issues and always enjoy a healthy debate. But more importantly, I like working with people and helping them to find the answers that they are looking for. And I am convinced that these answers are available in the Bible.

By the grace and mercy of God, I have been saved, born again, adopted into the family of God. God has given me a love for the Bible, and for Bible-related subjects. In addition, He has blessed me with ongoing training in the Scriptures, from my youth on up. The more I learn about God through His Word, the more I want to share!

Campus Crusade for Christ, Grace Church at Willow Valley

Pillsbury Baptist Bible College - B.S. Bible & Pastorology; Calvary Baptist Theological Seminary - M.Div.