Bible Studies/Lilith -

Question
QUESTION: Hello Brother Joel, I am Rev. Murphy a fellow expert in the Bible studies category...I was reading through the questions and answers when I came upon the question of Lilith.

I just wanted to share with you that Lilith actually is mentioned in the Bible at IS 34:14

The wild beasts of the desert shall also meet with the wild beasts of the island, and the satyr shall cry to his fellow; the screech owl also shall rest there, and find for herself a place of rest.

Lilith is the "screech owl" mentioned. This is the only place in the Bible where she is mentioned, at least by name. In this passage of scripture, "screech owl" is translated from:

liyliyth = Lilith

"Lilith", name of a female goddess known as a night demon who haunts the desolate places of Edom

Of course for further explanation and description of her, you would as you stated have to consult other sources.

Just thought I would share...

God Bless and Keep You:

Rev. Darryl Murphy

ANSWER: I appreciate your insight.  However, I checked a Strong's Exhaustive Concordance and I did not find the name "Lilith" mentioned anywhere.  The reference from Isaiah was about the judgment of God, not Lilith in particular.  Where did you get "liyliyth"?  Is this from the Hebrew?  I checked my version of the Hebrew Scriptures and Isaiah only goes to Isaiah 66.  This is also true of a Sacred Name version that I have.  Lilith is known as a female goddess, even a night demon, but evenso, she is mythological.  The question is what she means to the Adam-Eve story. Joel

QUESTION: Hello again Joel:

Yes...Liylith is from the Hebrew. You will find it under Strongs #3917. It means "screech owl". Lilith is said to have been the first to be cast out of the Garden for her disobedience and rebellion against Adam. She was the goddess of NOD.

She has been a figure of worship in the Occults and a symbol for feminism, and of course her symbol or figure, is that of a "screech owl". She is also found in the writings of some secret societies and is said to be honored at some secret functions. You find most about her in Hebrew lore. In some pagan religions she is the high deity.

As to what she means to the Adam and Eve story, the answer would be nothing. As I stated, I was just sharing with you where she is found in scripture. IS 34 is the only place where Lilith is used from the Hebrew and according to that passage of scripture even she shall find rest(not be saved).

If you ever get into conversation with anyone from the New Age religions or anyone that is "enlightened" you will most definitely have a run in conversation about the land of Nod and Lilith.

God Bless and Keep You

Rev. Darryl Murphy

Answer
I checked my Hebrew/English Bible and Isaiah 34:14 (I thought you said Isaiah 84)says that the "liliths" refers to a "kind of demon."  It does not deal specifically with the Adam/Eve account, though it may be rooted in it.  I have heard Lilith referred to in wiccan or pagan groups, and I think she has been also linked to vampirism.    Joel

Bible Studies

Joel Bjorling