Bible Studies/Catholicism and Protestantism.

QUESTION: Dear Clifford

What are the Similarities and Differences in Catholicism and Protestantism ?

Are there different churches for both ?. i.e. Catholics go for worship and praying the all mighty to a different church and Protestants go to a different church ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: You ask two questions:

1. What are the Similarities and Differences in Catholicism and Protestantism?

2. Are there different churches for both?

Your second question can be easily answered in one word: “Yes”.

There are several separate “church” organizations within Christendom.  Each group has its own authority structure and property, and some have doctrinal distinctions that demand separation from the others.  So, generally, each group has its own places of worship.  It is possible that one group may occasionally rent, or be allowed to meet, in a building owned by another group, but this is not a very common practice.

Your first question is a little more complicated because it is not quite complete.

Since it is apparent that you have access to the internet, and know how to find some information, I will not take the time to repeat details that are easily obtained elsewhere.  You include two internet sources that when compared show some of the differences between Catholicism and Protestantism.  There are many other websites which specifically compare these two major branches of Christendom.  Here are some you may find helpful:
In addition, books have been written on the subject.

I will take some time to provide some details that are easily overlooked.

There are actually four major divisions within Christendom.  Within Catholicism other divisions developed. Most of these have the title “Orthodox” or “Coptic” in their names.  The major difference between them concerns the authority and identity of the leader of the organization.  Roman Catholicism maintained an extreme position that the Bishop of Rome is the substitute for Christ, and the supreme and infallible authority over all Christianity.  The others rejected Rome’s supremacy in favor of their own leaders.

The other significant protest against Roman Catholicism came during The Reformation in Western civilization, when certain priests realized that God’s Word should have authority over all men, including the Pope.  Study of the Bible convinced many that much of the Roman Catholic doctrine and practice violated God’s Word.  This led to the division generally known as Protestantism.  But, even within Protestantism conflicts arose concerning doctrine and practice.  This led to the organization of other Protestant “denominations”.

Out of both of these two major branches of Christendom a third division developed.  It is called Pentecostalism, based on a renewal of the experience described in Acts 2:1-4; Acts 10:34-48; Acts 19:1-7. People from both Catholicism and Protestantism began “receiving the Holy Spirit” and experiencing the supernatural phenomenon of speaking praises to God in languages they had not learned.  Pentecostalism grew to include people from all of the various Protestant denominations, and eventually from those within the various forms of Catholicism.

History demonstrates the tendency of human beings to form societies according to mutual interests, participation in characteristic relationships, shared institutions, and a common culture.  This is not only true in Christendom, but also in Islam, Hinduism, and the other religions.  People find it easier to divide based on the details of their differences rather than unite based on points of agreement.  History also demonstrates that within any society there are individuals and groups that covet power, authority and wealth in order to rule over others.  This has been true in every division in Christendom, as it has all other religions. The divisions in Christendom have usually taken place in an attempt to correct the corruption resulting from this human desire for dominion.  After all, that coveting of lordship is totally contrary to the instruction of Christianity’s God that is openly stated in the Christian Bible:

Mark 9:35 And he sat down, and called the twelve, and saith unto them, If any man desire to be first, the same shall be last of all, and servant of all.

Mark 10:44 And whosoever of you will be the chiefest, shall be servant of all.

Luke 22:24 And there was also a strife among them, which of them should be accounted the greatest.  25 And he said unto them, The kings of the Gentiles exercise lordship over them; and they that exercise authority upon them are called benefactors. 26 But ye shall not be so: but he that is greatest among you, let him be as the younger; and he that is chief, as he that doth serve.  27 For whether is greater, he that sitteth at meat, or he that serveth? is not he that sitteth at meat? but I am among you as he that serveth.

John 13:1  Now before the feast of the passover, when Jesus knew that his hour was come that he should depart out of this world unto the Father, having loved his own which were in the world, he loved them unto the end.  2 And supper being ended, the devil having now put into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon’s son, to betray him;  3 Jesus knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he was come from God, and went to God;  4 He riseth from supper, and laid aside his garments; and took a towel, and girded himself.  5 After that he poureth water into a bason, and began to wash the disciples’ feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded.  6 Then cometh he to Simon Peter: and Peter saith unto him, Lord, dost thou wash my feet?  7 Jesus answered and said unto him, What I do thou knowest not now; but thou shalt know hereafter. :8 Peter saith unto him, Thou shalt never wash my feet. Jesus answered him, If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with me. 9 Simon Peter saith unto him, Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head.  10 Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all. 11 For he knew who should betray him; therefore said he, Ye are not all clean. 12 So after he had washed their feet, and had taken his garments, and was set down again, he said unto them, Know ye what I have done to you?  13 Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am. 14 If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another’s feet. 15 For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you. 16 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him. 17 If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them.

Another, more significant, but less visible division has existed all through the history of Christendom from the time the Roman Catholic church was organized unto this day.  That division is centered on the most fundamental doctrine of all, the Person and Identity of The Almighty.  In 325 AD the council of Nicea, dominated by a contingent of Bishops under submission to the Roman Emperor Constantine, decided to adopt a doctrine that defined God using terminology and concepts that compromised the doctrine of the majority of Christians.  The doctrine they adopted is now called the Doctrine of the Trinity.

The doctrine of the Trinity as defined historically by the various creeds and churches states that the One God eternally exists as three separate and distinct persons who are co-equal, co-eternal, and co-powerful, but mystically united to be only one God.  God the Father is neither God the Son or God the Holy Spirit; God the Son is neither God the Father or God the Holy Spirit; and God the Holy Spirit is neither God the Father or God the Son.

The earliest form of the doctrine of the Trinity was formulated by Tertullian in the later part of the second century, and bears little resemblance to the doctrine as it is presented today.

The doctrine of the Trinity has been changed several times through the centuries since it was first codified by the Council of Nicea in 325 AD.  Because of its mystical and contradictory terminology it has been given various definitions by various groups based on subjective objections raised by their leadership.

The doctrine of the Trinity was never a part of the thinking of any of the OT writers, at least as far as can be determined from the many documents recording their words.  No significant tenet of the doctrine exists in their prophecies.  Rather they are adamant in their insistence on the exclusive, indivisible, and absolute deity of Yahweh.

The doctrine of the Trinity was not a part of the thinking of any of the NT writers, who rather promoted the idea that God is One, a Spirit, and He became flesh by means of the incarnation and virgin birth.  Historians of both the Church and Christian doctrine acknowledge this fact.  To the NT writers, Jesus Christ is the Almighty God manifest in flesh, not one of three persons in the Godhead.

Proponents of the doctrine of the Trinity, forced by the historical record to acknowledge the facts above, strive to circumvent them through theological innovations, most drawn from philosophical musings:

1. The “primitive church” (led by the Apostles, whose understanding the Lord had opened, and who were to teach everyone else...see Luke 24:45, Matthew 28:20, etc.) was ignorant of the truth, God having chosen to reveal it progressively to succeeding generations.  Today, they say, we understand the most important doctrines far better than they did.

2. The doctrine of the Trinity exists as a divine mystery, which can neither be understood or explained by rationality, and must be accepted by “faith.”  It is something which can only be believed, but not known.

3. The contradictions contained within the terminology of the doctrine of the Trinity are necessary to avoid certain heresies condemned throughout Christian history.  The doctrine offers no explanation of how the contradictions actually are not contradictory other than that they are part of the “divine mystery.”

There were Bishops present at Nicea who could not accept the doctrine of the Trinity, and within fifty years the Roman Catholic Church began persecuting them, even unto death, even though they had previously been acknowledged as Christian bishops.

There are historical records of Christians from each century who have not accepted the doctrine of the Trinity.  It does not appear that these people chose to create separate church organizations until after they were put out of their local churches by the Trinitarian leaders.

The doctrine of this segment of Christendom, often called “Oneness” or “Apostolic”, is very briefly summed up this way:

*  God is One.  Deuteronomy 6:4;  Mark 12:29; et al.

*  God is a Spirit.  John 4:24;  Ephesians 4:4;  et al.

*  God (who is a Spirit) became a Man.  Exodus 15:2;  Isaiah 12:2;  Psalm 118:14 - 21;  John 1:1, 14;  2 Corinthians 3:17; et al.

*  The Man God became is identified by the Name “Jesus,” with various other titles added: “The Lord Jesus,” “Jesus Christ,” “The Lord Jesus Christ,” “Jesus of Nazareth,” etc.  Luke 1:31;  Matthew 1:21; Acts 8:16; 10:36; 11:17; 22:8; et al.

*  The Man God became was fully God in the Absolute sense through “the mystery of godliness,” which is the Incarnation.  Thus, the Man God became is “God with us,” “the Mighty God,” “the Everlasting Father,” and “the Almighty.” 1 Timothy 3:16; Isaiah 7:14; Isaiah 9:6; Revelation 1:8; etc.

*  The Man God became was also fully Human in the Ultimate sense through the seed of the virgin woman of the lineage of Eve, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Judah, and David, yet totally without any sin nature because He was also God Incarnate.  Genesis 3:15; Genesis 49:10; 1 Kings 8:26 - 27; Acts 2:30; Romans 9:5; Galatians 4:4; Hebrews 4:15; etc.

*  As a Man, He increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man; learned obedience, suffered, died by crucifixion, was buried and rose again the third day.  Luke 2:52; Hebrews 5:8 - 9; 1 Corinthians 15:1 - 4; et al.

*  As a Man, the scriptures use the following titles to designate His Deity (Godhead) and Humanity:

“The Son of God,” 1 John 4:15; 1 John 5:20; et al.

“The Son of Man,” Matthew 12:8; John 5:27; et al.

Thus, a brief and concise definition of the truth expressed in the doctrine of Oneness is that The One True and Almighty God became a Man called The Lord Jesus Christ.  The Lord Jesus Christ is both the One and Only Lord God Almighty and the Human Messiah, called “the Son,” who gave His life to redeem us.  Elohim (God) hath made that same Yeshua’ (Jesus) whom ye crucified both Yahweh (Lord) and Messiah (Christ).  He is not part God and part Man.  He is not part of God.  He is fully, completely, and exclusively God in the Absolute sense, and fully, completely, and absolutely Human in the Ultimate sense also.  In Him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.  He is not a “second person” in the Godhead.  There is no other God or “Divine Person” than He.  Beside Him there is no Saviour.  Acts 2:36; Colossians 2:8 - 10; et al.

It is fully as serious an error to detract from or deny His Perfect and Ultimate Humanity as it is to lessen or dilute His Absolute and Exclusive Deity.  He is both fully Human and fully God.  This is one factor of His Uniqueness and Incomparability.  There is none like Him!”

The resurgence of the Pentecostal experience within Christendom made many Christians realize that this experience was normal and expected in the first centuries of Christianity, and fully described in the Bible.  This motivated a serious desire among the Pentecostals to have a restoration of genuine first century Christianity, in both doctrine and experience, even though their receiving this experience generally caused their denominations to exclude them as heretics.  The desire to restore the Christian doctrine and practice as it is defined in the Bible, rather than by the papacy, other “authorities”, or church traditions was as much a source of increasing tensions within the various Christian organization then as it was during the Protestant Reformations.

The formal organization of “Oneness” churches began in earnest after this rise of Pentecostalism and desire for Biblical doctrinal authenticity in North America in the early 1900s.  The largest Pentecostal organization was called ‘The Assemblies of God”.  It formally adopted the Trinitarian doctrine, and forced those of its ministers who could not accept its definition of the Godhead to separate from the organization they had helped to establish.  This began the first formal division within the Pentecostal branch of Christendom, and accentuated the most fundamental division within Christendom, that between the Trinitarian theology and the Oneness theology.

The two major divisions in Christendom, then, are between the Oneness Christians and the Trinitarian Christians.  Within the Trinitarian segment there are three divisions: Catholic, Protestant, and Pentecostal.  Each segment has developed various denominations, separated by other differences in various doctrines and practices.  None of those differences are as significant as the two Godhead theologies, Oneness and Trinity.

Some doctrinal differences are mutually exclusive, and vitally important, requiring separation.  It is sad that Christian leaders are unable to submit themselves to the Lord Jesus Christ enough that they could convert Christendom into Christianity.  True Christianity embodies the most sublime truth and life changing power known by mankind.  But, it seems the individual must take responsibility for his own life and seek after The Almighty to find Him and His Truth unto life everlasting.

Surely this is much more of an answer than you were seeking, but I hope it is helpful.

QUESTION: Dear Clifford

Thank you.

Christianity Religion is broadly divided into two different Divisions  or Communities viz Catholics and Protestants.

This are my views mentioned below from my side.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God has founded the religion Christianity. Mother Mary is Mother of the Lord. Both are Great. The Holy Churches are open to all whether Catholics or Protestants and not only Catholics or Protestants but to all other religions.

I personally born Hindu religion by birth visit Different churches
St Lewis Church, Mount Mary Church, St Michael Church. The Dear Friends, Brothers and Sisters of those churches allow me to enter the church, pray and worship before the All Mighty. I get mental peace. They do not stop me to enter the church just because i am from a different religion.

I personally feel Catholics should be allowed to visit the Protestants Churches and Protestants should be allowed to enter the Catholics Churches and they should do this.

I also personally feel there should be a common church for both the communities and not different churches for the Catholics and Protestants communities.

Note : Mother Mary is Mother of the Lord itself. Both are Great.
God is Great. Regarding my above opinion and views, can you please reply me with your views ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: Dear Prashant S Akerkar,

First, thank you for giving me the highest ratings on for the answer I gave you concerning the differences between various Christian organizations.

The question you are asking me now is of a kind I usually decline to answer.  It is not a question of objective fact, but of subjective opinion:

“Regarding my above opinion and views, can you please reply me with your views?”

I have agreed to answer questions relating to the study of the Bible and Christianity.  It has always been my intent not merely to provide an answer, but to also provide the Biblical proof that the answer I provide is actually the correct answer.  Truth is the issue, not beliefs or opinions.

For most of Christianity, The Bible, in its original languages (Hebrew and Greek), is the divinely inspired record of God’s revelation to mankind, and the whole creation.  For those who hold that position, it is an infallible and objective authority.  We do our best to eliminate personal interpretations of the text. However, differing interpretations do arise, and usually are the foundation for the different denominations.  I strive to offer unmistakable evidence from the text of The Bible to validate the answers I give.  Truth does not contradict itself.

Your request for my views regarding your opinions does not fit within those limits.

Nevertheless, these are important issues, and I do not want to disappoint you or ignore some concerns I have with some of the opinions you are forming.  But, is not the best forum for this communication.  If you will write to me directly at <> I will be able to give you greater detail concerning these issues. Be sure to mention in the subject.

For now, I do not object to saying these things about your opinions:

There is a difference between Christianity (the doctrine and lifestyle resulting from the salvation provided by Jesus Christ) and Christendom (the various organizations that men claim to be “the Church”).  I believe that Christianity contains the highest and most sublime ideals to which human being can aspire, and in the same measure that Christians submit themselves to the Lordship of Jesus Christ, they also demonstrate those ideals to the rest of humanity.  Christendom, though, does not.  It is generally governed by the same human corruptions that all other religions suffer.  Like you, I am disturbed by the failure of the various organizations to live up to the standard set by the Lord Jesus Christ.  I am even more disturbed by my personal failures to fully demonstrate the holy character of my Lord.

I agree that Christendom should not be divided into many separate denominations.  I also believe it would not be divided if all would agree to the same fundamental truths.  Unfortunately, it seems the spectrum of humans who have become Christians cannot even agree on what those fundamental truths are because they allow subjective beliefs and opinions to rule in their thinking.  This is one of the tragedies of the human condition, even the redeemed are not yet perfectly exempt from the bondage of belief.  Beliefs and opinions have always been a hindrance to pursuing the Truth.  Notice what the Lord Jesus said:
John 8:31  Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;  32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

I have never been in any Christian church that would not allow people of different religions to come in to their services.  However, every human organization has certain standards for the kind of membership that can influence the handling of its affairs or decide the issues it faces.  It is important to note, though, that not every group that calls themselves Christians really are Christians.  We should  not judge Christianity based on those who claim it, but on the validation of the claims of Jesus Christ as they are recorded in The Bible.

Until we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ, there will be divisions (Ephesians 4:1-16).

The Bible does not give to Mary the status conferred on her by the Roman Catholic Church.  It does teach that she was blessed among women, chosen to be the mother of Jesus Christ, but it does not exalt her “above” women, as an object of worship.  The Bible never directs anyone to even pray to her.  She was one who needed the same redemption Jesus Christ bought for all of us.  She was one of the believers who received the Pentecostal experience in Acts 2.  These facts from The Bible do not demean her.
Luke 1:28 And the angel came in unto her, and said, Hail, thou that art highly favoured, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women.
However, diverting prayers or worship from Jesus Christ to her would demean her, making her an hindrance.
1Timothy 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;
Colossians 2:8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.  9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.  10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:  11 In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:  12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

True Christianity acknowledges no other God but Jesus Christ, and we find our completeness in Him, and Him alone.
1Timothy 1:17 Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever and ever. Amen.
Jude 25 To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.

I would be willing to discuss these issues in greater detail with you by direct email.  I could also send you studies I have written on some of these same questions, studies which might help you determine what the fundamental truths of Christianity are.  If you want to continue in this kind of study, write to me at <>.  I will look forward to hearing from you.

Again, thank you for the ratings you gave for the previous answer I wrote for you.

QUESTION: Dear Clifford

Thank you.

Statistically if we take a count of Total Number of Catholics and Total Number of Protestants in all countries, which will be more in number ?.

This can be calculated by the simple mathematical formula of summation.

Just As a example,

1. Country : USA Total Number of Catholics : 2000000. Total Number of Protestants : 1500000.
2. Country : United Kingdom Total Number of Catholics : 1500000. Total Number of Protestants : 2000000.

Total Number of Catholics in the world = Sum of Catholics in every country.
Total Number of Protestants in the world = Sum of Protestants in every country.

As we know, Every Christian baby born in a family will be either a Catholic or a Protestant.

Note : The above example does not show any real figures, the numbers shown are taken just for computation.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Dear Prashant S Akerkar,

Again, thank you for the rating you have given in response to my previous answers.

Your comments in the recent rating were:
Note : Regarding my above opinion and views, can you please reply me with your views ?. Regarding my question this was only my humble request to get views from your end and all other experts is not to superimpose my views saying that i am only right, i may be wrong also. It was only a Humble request from my side only to share my views.
Also i am not a expert on the Holy Bible, but i love the Lord Jesus Christ, his preaching, teachings.
Isn't Clifford, One should first read the Book "The Life of Lord Jesus Christ" before reading the Holy Bible - Old and New Testament.
Thank you, Clifford for sharing your views on my views.

I did not object to your expressing your views.  Neither did I think that you were attempting to impose your beliefs on me or anyone else.  However, my role as a volunteer on is not to answer such questions or comments, but those specifically concerning the Bible.

It is also important to understand that opinions, or views, are often wrong.  Opinions do not provide answers to factual questions about God, the Bible, or Christianity.  It is equally important to understand that the religion people endorse and practice  may be called “Christian” without following the commandments of Jesus Christ.  There is a large distinction between “Christendom” and “Christianity” even if most people do not know that difference exists.

The religions that do not follow the teaching of The Lord Jesus Christ, and practice the lifestyle He commanded, may call themselves “Christian”, but they are merely religions the include Christ in their doctrine.  Jesus Christ did not come to found a religion.  He came to reveal God to humankind, to save people from their sins, and to correct the failure of His chosen people to live according to the principles god had given them.  The New Testament details His corrections concerning doctrine and practice.

My comments to you about it simply were to advise you that I have not volunteered to provide personal opinions about non-Biblical issues.  Your questions about my personal views concerning the Catholic and Protestant religions are outside of the limits of the purpose of this service.  My “views” are not answers.  Nevertheless, I tried to point you in the right direction.

I assume the book you mention is Dr. J. P. Lange’s book, “The Life of The Lord Jesus Christ”, first published in 1864.  It is an excellent resource, but it is not, and cannot substitute for, The Bible itself.  Use it as a tool, not the authority.

Again, thank you for the ratings.

In this question, you ask,  “Statistically if we take a count of Total Number of Catholics and Total Number of Protestants in all countries, which will be more in number?.

This question also is not about the Bible or Bible Study.  You can find the answer as easily as anyone on  You need to learn to do this yourself.  In the future, I will not do this work for you, or answer these kinds of questions.  You are free to ask me a question about the Bible and what it teaches, especially what it teaches about God and Christian living (Christianity).
Use you web browser to go to one of the “search” sites, like Google, Yahoo, or Bing.  Type your question:
“How many Catholics are there in the world today?”
This search will provide thousands of websites and pages that will give you an answer, and explain how that answer was determined.  But, you need to consider the sources.  Some give biased opinions and do not supply any factual basis for those opinions.
One result of the search asking “How many Christians are there in the world today?” brought up many, many, many pages designed to answer this question.  Here are two, and both of them will also give you the estimate of how many are Catholic and how many are Protestant:
The overall estimate is that about 33% of the world’s population is considered to be part of the Christian religion.  This is an increase of about 2% since 2010.  During that time of increase, the percentage of “Christians” who were in the Catholic religion declined,
The best estimate is that there are now about 2.34 billion (2,340,000,000) “Christians” in the world.  This includes about 1.2 billion (1,200,000,000) people who are classified as being Catholic, and the other 1.14 billion (1,140,000,000) are not Catholic.  It is important to understand that these classifications include all of the various “Catholic” organizations, not just the Roman Catholic, and all of the “non-Catholic” organizations.
According to the wikipedia site, these details come from "The World Factbook". Central Intelligence Agency. November 13, 2012. Retrieved November 18, 2012.

You wrote, “As we know, Every Christian baby born in a family will be either a Catholic or a Protestant.”  It is even more important that you understand the difference between being “Christian” due to the culture into which one was born, and being a Christian by choice and practice.  (You previously wrote, “I personally born Hindu religion by birth” and “I love the Lord Jesus Christ, his preaching, teachings.”  Should you be classified as Hindu or Christian?  If you are classified “Christian,” should you be classified as Catholic or Protestant?  And then, which organization?  But, the only thing that really matters is if you know the Truth and obey the Lord Jesus Christ.

Consider carefully what the Bible says about this matter:

Luke 6:46 And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?

1John 1:5  This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.  6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:  7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
8  If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.  9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.  10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

1Peter 4:17 For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?

2Thessalonians 1:4 So that we ourselves glory in you in the churches of God for your patience and faith in all your persecutions and tribulations that ye endure:
5 Which is a manifest token of the righteous judgment of God, that ye may be counted worthy of the kingdom of God, for which ye also suffer:
2Thessalonians 1:6 Seeing it is a righteous thing with God to recompense tribulation to them that trouble you;  7 And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels,  8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:  9 Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;  10 When he shall come to be glorified in his saints, and to be admired in all them that believe (because our testimony among you was believed) in that day.

God has warned us that being part of the majority does not assure that you will be saved from damnation:

Matthew 7:12 Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets. 13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: 14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Luke 13:23 Then said one unto him, Lord, are there few that be saved? And he said unto them, 24 Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able.

Romans 9:22 What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:  23 And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory,  24 Even us, whom he hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?
25  As he saith also in Osee, I will call them my people, which were not my people; and her beloved, which was not beloved.  26 And it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people; there shall they be called the children of the living God.  27 Esaias also crieth concerning Israel, Though the number of the children of Israel be as the sand of the sea, a remnant shall be saved:  28 For he will finish the work, and cut it short in righteousness: because a short work will the Lord make upon the earth.

Romans 11:5 Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace.

Please consider the difference between joining a religion and being a Christian.  You and I both know people who would be called “Hindu” that do not practice Hinduism.  They are Hindu only by culture.  I know Moslems who are Moslems only because they are forced to be under threat of death.  I know people who claim to be Christians, but whose lives offer no evidence of it.

I urge you to study the Lord Jesus Christ in the New Testament.  If you do, you will discover The Almighty God manifested in flesh to demonstrate the Truth to us.  That is certainly better than merely being part of an organization, either Catholic or Protestant.

Bible Studies

Clifford H. Readout, Jr.

Expertise: Preferred subject areas: Biblical doctrine, problem texts, and application of Bible teachings in daily life. Willing to consider questions concerning other aspects of Christianity, as well. Experience and qualifications: Converted to Christianity in 1970 while a student at Indiana University; active in Christian ministry since 1971; President, 1971 - 1973, then Chaplain, 1973 - 1975 of a campus ministry at Indiana University; Director of Campus Ministry for North Central Region of the U.S.A. and Canada, 1975 - 1976; director, dean, and teacher for a Bible College in Kaiserslautern, Germany, 1977; Pastor of the same church since 1978; founder and director of The Foundations Forum (Christian think tank), 1991 to present; District Foreign Missionary Director, 1981-2000; District Superintendent, 2000-2009; Founding Coordinator of Friendship International, a ministry to college and university students around the world, 1997 - 2001; Special Advisor to Friendship International, 2001 to present; Secretary and member of the Board of Trustees for a Graduate School of Theology, 1999 to 2012, and Trustee Emeritus, 2012-2015; Chairman of the Board of Directors and faculty member at the Apostolic Leadership Institute, 2000 to present; internationally known and requested Bible teacher, ministering by missionary and other official invitations in more than fifty nations, and at least thirty-three of the United States; and other minor functions. Husband to the same wonderful lady since 1970, father of three college graduates, and one delightful Down Syndrome son born in 1994.

For best results, send your question directly to Be sure to mention in the subject. See "Expertise" section.

See "Expertise" section.